TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 TRD access cab taco, and take it exploring/Wheeling every few weekends!
Although it's my DD during the week, on the weekends I find myself looking for bigger, stepper, more technical trails to take it on (the snowball is rolling)!

I'm in the market for some 33's (with my stock rims) and a suspension lift. After doing a lot of reading and looking at pics of peoples rigs I'm leaning toward a 3" lift up front and 2" lift in the back (to level the truck). It looks like people are really pleased with Revtech and Donahoe so I was going to go with one of those two. As I said the snow ball is rolling so somewhere down the line I know I'll be replacing front/back bumpers get a wench, sliders, front locker, etc.

Having said all that, I'm trying now to learn about what kind of stress I'll be putting on my truck with a 3" lift:

What parts of my truck will this strain and am I going to need to get other after market parts to reduce additional stress I'll be putting on my truck?

Will I need aftermarket parts to fit 33's, even with a 3" lift?

And finally does a 2.5" lift significantly reduce stress and where on parts?

Just want to know what I'm doing to my truck before investing the $$$.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The search button is help full but hell I asked too don't they say only smart people ask questions lol j/p anyways down to buisness..

All depends on how deep you pocket is..

Cheaper- ome complete kit and aal or full dakar leaf pack or spacers and blocks which I DON"T RECOMEND

do it right the first time stuff about 1500 total

coilovers "onroad ride will improve also will off road and they are adjustable and rebuildable" saw or donaho racing are great..

complete leaf pack.. alcan springs or dakar make good ones for 3" lift. Donaho leafs won't give you but 2 max inches I think and cost more and you can't tow very well.

33"s on the stock rims might work I'm not sure depends on how wide you get.. 33/12.0's prolly not but something like a 255/85 or something like that could since it's skinnier... aftermarket rims with atleast 4" of bs would be a nessessity.

I'd stay away from a body lift if you can.. and a 4"+ lift cause once you get one you can't go back stock..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigdadyoda, appreciate the feedback! I've been using the search key for suspension stuff and doing a lot of reading, but I had a few follow up Q's from your post:

Wondering what you don't like about the OME coilovers, or why there not as good as saw or donaho racing?

Also can I get front suspension with OME and a leaf pack with dakar, or should they front and back be the same brand?

How do I know how much backspacing a rim has or how much I need to clear the tires I want (~285/75/16)?

Finally, just wondering what your running on your truck (suspension/tires), size lift, and if any vibrations/rattles?

Thanks again, appreciate the info!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Josh,

This is not at all in reference to what bigbadyoda said, this is just a caution in general. The "best" suspension lift, "best" tires, "best" tire/wheel combo, "best" anything is a fad. They come and go, i've seen a lot of them. You buy what's considered the best today, and tomorrow it's considered crap and you need the "new" best. Don't get sucked into it.

I'll give you an example: someone who says spacers are crap and you need new coilovers without taking into consideration coil diameter, spring rate, shock length, shock valving, etc. doesn't know what they are talking about. If the coil has the same spring rate and the shock is the same length, the only difference geometry wise is that one is adjustable so you can essentially move the spring seat to affect lift. If you move the spring seat 1.5" to give yourself 2.5" of lift, that is no different than putting a 1.5" spacer in your stock suspension (except that it will cost you $800 less). I'm not debating spacers vs. coilovers or saying that coilovers are bad, it's just an example of the things to take into consideration.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You'd prolly have to go with 4.5 or less BS.

Yes, you can mix and match suspension components

on my new truck I've not done anything to it yet, I've done suspension lifts on a few trucks and alot of research,, right now I'm building/welding a bumper for a samuria and putting a 6" lift on it and new tires and wheels, but I plan on doing some stuff to my truck like:

dakar leafs, ome coils or coilovers depends on how much $ i got, bilstein 5150 shocks I think, procomp 7089 4.5 BS wheels (not sure if they will fit, some say they rub others don't), light bar with some hella lights undecided about what light exactly, 265/85/16 all terrains, URD quic shifter, bed mat, and Wet okale seat covers in the front and exclusive ones in the back..

00Runner
Well the reason coilovers are used to much is for winches and arb bumpers.. You have that combo regular springs won't handle the load. Plut having the capabilities to go from 0-2.75 inches with out alot of trouble is great too..Just depends on what you want to do with your vehicle..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If your looking into a front bumper then I recommend the OME setup. I would go that route prior to CO's, as you can save a ton of $$ if you dont need the CO's. I also wouldn't go much higher than 2" or so up front. There is no reason at all to go higher. You do not gain any extra tire clearance from stock all the way thru 3". The point in the lift is a better ride height, and depending on how you get it a different spring rate, dampening capability. If you want to run 285's you will trim even in you lift 3".

One thing about going to high is you loose all your droop, which is not what you want. This is why I went with the spacer route. I have two spacer and only the spring spacer caused me to loose droop. The top plate spacer add the amount of droop you lift by, but its realized in compression...

There are spacers and adapter plates, I dont reccommend using spacer, but I will be running adapter plates soon. You can get them from marlin.com or trail-gear.com, adapter plates bolt to the hub and the wheel to the plate, this will effectively take 1.5" of backspacing away.. creating clearance at the control arms.

There are lots of ways to lift your 07, just depends on exactly what you want to do...

IMO OME 886's and either rear dakars or deavers will be your best bet.

Personally I am very happy with my 1.75" spacer setup and rear airbags. My TRD OR springs have the correct rate for me. The setup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts