TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Alcan 8 leafs springs in the rear that I bought through Wheelers. They are advertised as 1.75 - 2 inches of lift and have settled to about 1.5 inches. I now have the front DR coilovers raised to about 3 inches in the front to better clear the 285/75/16s and want to bring the rear up to match. Originally I thought I would just replace the stock shackles with a set of Daystar greasables (advertised at 1.25" of lift), but now I'm thinking about adding add-a-leafs like the Rancho soft rides or something similar. I wouldn't mind stiffening up the rear a touch b/c I'm carrying around more of a load than I expected and might even add a heavier camper shell.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Can I even use add-a-leafs with the 8 leaf Alcans?

Thanks!
-J

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
go with the softride or similar type, the problem with aals are that they are usually stiff and that hampers articulation

now shackles are an alternative, i have heard shackles make your springs flatten, but in the years and differnt vehicles i have owned with shackles, the leaves never flattened due to the shackles....

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have Alcan 8 leafs springs in the rear that I bought through Wheelers. They are advertised as 1.75 - 2 inches of lift and have settled to about 1.5 inches. I now have the front DR coilovers raised to about 3 inches in the front to better clear the 285/75/16s and want to bring the rear up to match. Originally I thought I would just replace the stock shackles with a set of Daystar greasables (advertised at 1.25" of lift), but now I'm thinking about adding add-a-leafs like the Rancho soft rides or something similar. I wouldn't mind stiffening up the rear a touch b/c I'm carrying around more of a load than I expected and might even add a heavier camper shell.

Thanks!
-J
Thats too bad man, you could have ordered them directly from Alcan with your specific needs for about the same price as Wheeler's sells them for and had more lift. I would suggest longer shackles. AAL mated with the Alcans isn;t the greatest idea. I can honestly say that I have read about several members mating longer shackles with new leaf packs like Alcans & Deavers. That or you could try lift blocks which is cheap, but I think most people would recomend stearing clear of them. Try out the shackles and if they don't work you could always send them back to Alcan to have them add a leaf and re-arch them for a worste case scenario. Good luck

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Thanks!
-J
Adding an add-a-leaf designed for stock Tacoma leaf springs to and aftermarket custom leaf pack won't work. The leaf length is based on the long leaf design of the stock springs... not that of the progressive Alcans. You can send them in to Alcan and have them re work them to your specifications, but this is expensive. However, if your considering adding a significant amount of weight too the rear I would suggest it. They will be able too add leafs as necessary to accommodate more ride height and added load without hampering ride characteristics or off-road performance.

go with the softride or similar type, the problem with aals are that they are usually stiff and that hampers articulation

now shackles are an alternative, i have heard shackles make your springs flatten, but in the years and differnt vehicles i have owned with shackles, the leaves never flattened due to the shackles....
Add-a-leaf in an aftermarket leaf pack... I think not :shame: The reason shackles "flatten" the springs is because they move the bump stop at the center of the spring further away from the bump perch on the frame. This allows the spring to go significantly into negative arch and eventually permanently de-arch the spring steal. This can be fixed by a spring shop but it’s avoidable by moving the bump stop back up to the stock location, keeping the springs from going past flat.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO crank those hoes down to 2.5, you'll like the ride a lot better. As far as the rear spring is concerned, you may want to air bag it for the heavier load. A 1 inch block won't hurt either, regardless of what they say. The only negative to a 1 inch block is slightly increased axle wrap. I would not add an AAL to the spring pack, but would call Alcan for an extra leaf, if that's an option.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. I'm going to call Alcan to see if maybe they can send me a leaf that I can add myself. I don't want to pay for sending them the entire set of leaf packs. Otherwise it'll be a longer shackle.

Thanks again,
-J

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. I'm going to call Alcan to see if maybe they can send me a leaf that I can add myself. I don't want to pay for sending them the entire set of leaf packs. Otherwise it'll be a longer shackle.

Thanks again,
-J
Let us know what they say...;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts