TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new tool box for the garage. The wife has been looking around for them, so I figure I should start my search too. I need a tool box large enough to hold my air tools and not break the bank. Yeah I know Snap-on and Matco make nice ass ones, but I can not justify $3k for a toolbox. I was wondering if anyone else had some good recomendations for a larger, but non-professional tool boxes?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
harbor freight, yeah its not the snazzy awesome ones but will work, and arent expensive

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
kobalt from lowes.. its the best stainless ball bearing toolbox i have used..
you can stand in the bottom drawer (i (all 200lbs) tried before i bought :D) it didnt deflect and still opens and closes like normal

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
you can stand in the bottom drawer (i (all 200lbs) tried before i bought :D) it didnt deflect and still opens and closes like normal
I have a Kobalt box as well, and it does the job.

Sam's Club/Costco also sell a nice stainless steel model that is very sturdy. My buddy got the bottom box (with casters and handles) as well as the matching top box (with handles) for around $600 or so.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I guess the Kobalt and Craftsman boxes are made by Waterloo and I think they also make the Mac toolboxes from what I have found...

Just hoping to hit the jackpot since my wife wants me to get a bigger tool box with out breaking the bank.

·
Registered
344 Posts
X2 on the Costco one, I saw it the other day and it seemed really sturdy, I have a smaller Craftsman combo and like it but I have outgrown it and if my garage was bigger would like to get the Costco one. If you ever have problems with it you can return it. Also Kmart carries some craftsman ones that are cheaper then the ones they have in Sears. That might be worth checking out, Also a non-rolling locking cabinet are a great option with 1/2 the cost...

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I've got a Craftsman (cheapo series) and I'm not really impressed with the quality. If I was to do it all over again I would have gone with the Professional series or at least get ball bearing. The standard drawers (non-ball bearing) can become difficult to open once you get a lot of weight in them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
As with all brands. Ball bearing is the only way to go.
Mine are craftsman from Yard/Estate sales. I have 2 large boxes and they were purchased for under $400.00 total, just look around for auctions. The craftsman seem to work great for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It can't get any better than snap-on. You pay the price but the best is really worth it.
I agree, I've got a Cornwell box that I took all over the U.S. the last few years while racing the national circuit and it performs as new. We even stand on top of it every time we need to put up or take down our tent lights. You can imagine how much a toolbox gets worked over bouncin' around in a trailer for long ass trips. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!

We have the black one...
http://www.cornwelltools.com/OnlineCatalog/Master%20Sets%20%26%20Tool%20Boxes/15proseriesservi.html

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tool Box

I am in need of a new tool box for the garage. The wife has been looking around for them, so I figure I should start my search too. I need a tool box large enough to hold my air tools and not break the bank. Yeah I know Snap-on and Matco make nice ass ones, but I can not justify $3k for a toolbox. I was wondering if anyone else had some good recomendations for a larger, but non-professional tool boxes?
How far is Phonix?
here is craigslist
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/tls?query=box&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

there are several listed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts