TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a quick question on wether you think a header for the 2.7 is worth it. I'm looking at doing a group buy on another forum for a dough thorley header which is a 4-1 design. I know most people prefer the lc engineering header, but i can't afford it. The one i'm looking at is a good $100 cheaper and will be ceramic coated. My question is this, the lc header runs it's 4 tubes down low before it reaches the collector, and the doug thorley almost looks like a shorty because it hits the collector much higher, then extends down with the 4 inch tube all the way to the cat. I don't want to lose any low end power. My truck is a 97 2.7 manual which is stock other than a true flow filter. I'm going to upgrade the exhaust soon. A little extra power would be a bonus. Is it worth it to get a header in your experience, and do you think this design of the doug thorley will hang with others like the lc engineering. Smog isn't an issue since i live in a small city in Canada.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the longer header will make more power higher up in the rpm range and the shorty style will help keep the low end torque u are wanting. and 100 bucks for some thing that is going to rust any way is a good deal as long as it fits ok.

·
Registered
216 Posts
header

the longer header will make more power higher up in the rpm range and the shorty style will help keep the low end torque u are wanting. and 100 bucks for some thing that is going to rust any way is a good deal as long as it fits ok.
I have always heard that long tubes like the thorley design are better for torque, I might be wrong, but I put one on my samurai and that is what is seems to have done for me, I am also thinking about getting a header for my 2.7 along with a gibson exhaust before the fall. I know everyone on this forum says go with a flowmaster and a turn down, that is what my friend did and it is very anoying even though it is a delta flow.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
The LCE header is Stainless steel so no its not going to rust thus is why it is 100 bucks more. Mine looks almost exactly like it did when i put it on 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
You are not going to get a lot of power gains regardless of which header you go with, its just going to give it a better sound and maybe a little better hp but nothing you are going to be able to tell by the seat of your pants. Just whatever you do get the exhaust gasket from Toyota, all others will leak, unless you get your header from LCE they provide a toyota gasket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I concur on the LC header. Easy install and even loks good (not that looks matter). Also something to consider is the weight loss as compared to the stock header. Now you can ad a winch to the front of the truck with all the weight savings! haaa just kidding.
Whatever you do do not get a Downey p.o.s. header. I wouldnt give that to my worst enemy (well maybe).
imo it is a good/benificial mod.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You won't see huge power gains no matter what header you go with, but it will probably keep you from burning up your valves with the POS stock exhaust manifold that, if not already cracked, will be soon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This header is a Doug Thorley header, ceramic coated, 4-1 long tube header. The only tri-y header is NWOR from what i gather and i heard they are expensive. I also read that tri-y gives the best low end gain which is what i would probably want, but i can't afford $400+.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
If you don't need it right now and can't afford it, then don't get a header. Start saving up for the header for when you have to have it like if your manifold cracks.

There is no way in hell I would buy from NWOR regardless of how good their product is. They have no customer service. You buy it even if its wrong you are stuck with it. They were asses on the phone when I was just asking questions about stuff and basiclly hung up on me when I asked could the header be used on a auto. All I got was a NO and a click.

I have the LCE and like it some on here have good things to say about the pacesetter so I would stick with one of those IMO.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i did an lce header on my truck along with a new muffler, and the power differnce wasn't worth the 400 and some bucks i spent. unless your stock one is cracked and needs replacement, i wouldn't bother doing it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
According to my highly calibrated butt dyno, the difference between my cracked stocker to the LCE was pretty good. The stock one was extremely cracked though, I'm sure having anything that routed gasses out the tailpipe instead of through 3 seperate large cracks in the manifold would have increased my power:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
According to my highly calibrated butt dyno, the difference between my cracked stocker to the LCE was pretty good. The stock one was extremely cracked though, I'm sure having anything that routed gasses out the tailpipe instead of through 3 seperate large cracks in the manifold would have increased my power:D
My stock manifold was cracked really bad also. The LCE header was worth the money for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just phoned NWOR and asked about the 2.7 header. $489.99, i said no thanks. He says you better order soon, they go fast. So when your manifolds were cracked could you hear the leak? i don't hear any exhaust leaks, and my truck has ok power, but is way undergeared. I can't afford a regear so i'm going with smaller tires in the fall. This is my daily driver and i'll be hauling a 14ft boat for salmon fishing, and basically just hauling my dirtbike around in the back. If most of you say the power difference isn't very noticeable, i might wait.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
When someone gives you that kind of a bullshit line, run don't walk away and never go back. It's one of the tell tale signs of a lying asshole.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
489.99:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Granted yes sometimes they do get backordered, but he was just trying to pressure you into buying then instead of shopping around, while trying to make his sound like the hot ticket. My LCE got back ordered and they threw in some extra swag for my wait.

yes if your stock one cracks you will know it, it will drive you insane.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just phoned NWOR and asked about the 2.7 header. $489.99, i said no thanks. He says you better order soon, they go fast. So when your manifolds were cracked could you hear the leak? i don't hear any exhaust leaks, and my truck has ok power, but is way undergeared. I can't afford a regear so i'm going with smaller tires in the fall. This is my daily driver and i'll be hauling a 14ft boat for salmon fishing, and basically just hauling my dirtbike around in the back. If most of you say the power difference isn't very noticeable, i might wait.
I was hearing a ticking noise, so I took the heat sheild off of the exhaust manifold. There was two huge cracks in it. Listen for the ticking noise under acceleration. If yours isn't cracked yet, you could save up some extra cash for the header. The LCE header is great quality. Something that I think is important is their customer service. Give them a call and ask them about their header (or any of their products). You will see that they have great customer service. Very helpful and nice guys. This is the only header I have tried on my truck, so I can't comment on any others. I am very satisfied with the LCE header.

BTW, I don't know that you will definitly hear the manifold leak. Mine was cracked bad so I could definitly hear the leak on it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
LCE or nothing at all. I'm serious about this. Downey is complete and absolute garbage, I've had an iffy experience with NWOR and so have many others. Pace setter and others... eh... I sure didn't pay almost 500 for my 2.7 header though...

Like I always say, a Tacoma is NOT a group A rally car, gains from bolt-ons will be marginal at best. Don't expect to burn the tires off in every gear, but you will notice a difference and have more fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts