TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning to rattle can the 4Runner within the next few weeks and I'm hoping to start the prep work over the Thanksgiving holiday. I've done some searching without a lot of success so I thought I'd post up here to see if anyone has some advice. I need to know the best method for prepping the truck as this is my first attempt at paint work.

I have a random orbit sander, can I use this to strip the current paint? Also, what grit sandpaper should I use for the various stages of the process? Should I wipe the truck down with mineral spirits or something similar after sanding and between coats of paint? Any other tips I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
223 Posts
the more time you spend preping the better chance it has of turning out good. you dont need to remove all the old paint but taking the shine off works. remove everything you posibly can (trim bumpers door handles). one rule i go by if you think its GOOD ENOUGH it probably isent. i do a final wipe down with paint thinner and a clean white rag, white works best as you can see when it becomes dirty and move to a different part of the rag. everyone has different opinions of sand paper grit so im not even going there.. the paint in a rattle can is very thin dont try to spray it too thick 2 thin coats way better than 1 thick one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the more time you spend preping the better chance it has of turning out good. you dont need to remove all the old paint but taking the shine off works. remove everything you posibly can (trim bumpers door handles). one rule i go by if you think its GOOD ENOUGH it probably isent. i do a final wipe down with paint thinner and a clean white rag, white works best as you can see when it becomes dirty and move to a different part of the rag. everyone has different opinions of sand paper grit so im not even going there.. the paint in a rattle can is very thin dont try to spray it too thick 2 thin coats way better than 1 thick one.
All great advice...thanks for the tips!

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
go to real automotive paint supply place.
they will have every product you need.
and lots of good info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was going to rattle can my truck and got talked out of it by the supply store. I bought a HPLV gun had access to a compressor allready and if you do too I suggest you go this route. It cost me $175 to paint the entire truck properly including the gun.

As far as prep whats allready been said is good advice. I thought many times I was ready to spray then I kept finding imperfections and although they are hard to see when its all scratched up its really easy to see once painted. I also found a Tack cloth very helpfull in getting the last bit of grime off the surface before Primer/Paint.

good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts