TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in the performance section yesterday but didn't get feedback on it and I'm going to get my exhaust done in an hour and would love some of you all's opinions. It is a dynomax 14" muffler welded in my 98 2.7 taco and am wondering what i should do from the muffler back. Should I have it welded into stock piping? new piping? or a dump tube? Would any of those affect the sound or performance?

·
Registered
222 Posts
If I was in your shoes, I would cut the stock muffler and back off. Weld up the muffler and put same piping or a "dump tube". A dump tube will make it sound a littler meaner, but make sure it's far enough back that it isn't under the cab or you might smell like exhaust every time you get out of the truck.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet so maybe right after the new muffler run about 14-18" of pipe and angle it down at the end? Sounds good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
KStacoma said:
Sweet so maybe right after the new muffler run about 14-18" of pipe and angle it down at the end? Sounds good.

I just got mine done on my 04 3.4 yesterday with a magnaflow just had it welded in to stock pipe. It sounds great. :welder:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can someone let me know what size the stock piping is? I have an 05 and this is my first Tacoma. I don't know if the size is the same or has changed for this year or not. At any rate if someone cold let me know that would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i think it was 2.25" for the pre 05's, might have changed due to the larger engine

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is probably too late, but I think turning it down after the muffler is a good idea, keeps it out of the way, by the way who welded it up, and how does it sound?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, I went ahead and had them weld it directly into stock piping so that if i liked the sound like taht i'd leave it and if not i'd just hack it off myself. Basically the sound is very similar to stock. I have a k&n fipk so i'm used to a noisier truck that stock but i can't really hear the muffler too much over my tires/intake. It is a bit lower sounding but nothing drastic. I noticed a slight power increase feeling, nothing to write home about though. It is idling smoother and reving up faster and more "evenly". When i get it up to about 4k it seems to have freed up some dormant power however. So basically I recomend the dynomax muff's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts