TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

All right, I'm in the middle of installing my new Deaver 7-leaf packs and have a question that I need a quick answer to.

We got the old leafs out and just had the pleasure of removing the bottom shackle bolt from the bushing in the rear eyelet of the spring. Ended up drilling into the rubber bushing from one side to break it up as much as possible and then stuck the shackle in the vise and twisted the whole leaf spring around to tear the remaining rubber. It looks like what happened is that there is a metal sleeve at the center of the rubber bushing but it rusted tight to the bolt of the shackle. This then requires the tearing/burning out of the bushing to seperate the shackle from the old leafs.

I just want to know for sure that what looks like a metal sleeve rusted to the bolt is indeed that. Based on several things, it looks like it is, but I just want to know for sure before I go take the cut-off wheel to it to remove it.

Thanks for any resonses, guys!

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Und Streisen! said:
Hey everyone,

All right, I'm in the middle of installing my new Deaver 7-leaf packs and have a question that I need a quick answer to.

We got the old leafs out and just had the pleasure of removing the bottom shackle bolt from the bushing in the rear eyelet of the spring. Ended up drilling into the rubber bushing from one side to break it up as much as possible and then stuck the shackle in the vise and twisted the whole leaf spring around to tear the remaining rubber. It looks like what happened is that there is a metal sleeve at the center of the rubber bushing but it rusted tight to the bolt of the shackle. This then requires the tearing/burning out of the bushing to seperate the shackle from the old leafs.

I just want to know for sure that what looks like a metal sleeve rusted to the bolt is indeed that. Based on several things, it looks like it is, but I just want to know for sure before I go take the cut-off wheel to it to remove it.

Thanks for any resonses, guys!
Yes, the metal sleeve is in between the 1/2s of the shackle. No worries.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, atwinda.

Unfortunately, we got that bolt-rusted-to-bushing-sleeve problem taken care of only to run into it again on the other side (drivers). This time however, it was on the front mount location of the leaf spring. So, now I've really got a problem cause there's no way to get the damn bolt out or the old spring detached from the vehicle- that thing is rusted solid. We had a breaker bar on the bolt head and were pressing on it with both feet. Only managed to end up actually spinning the entire rubber bushing in the eyelet of the spring. Then we tried taking a C-clamp and rigging it up to try and press the bolt out. Ended up bending the C-clamp. All the while we were soaking the thing in Kroil to try and loosen it up.

To finally get the old leafs out, tommorow morning I'm going to try to find a bolt that is close enough in size to use temprorarily so we can take a grinder to both ends of the rusted bolt.

If anybody has any other ideas of things to try to get around my dilemma, I'd really appreciate any input. I would imagine others have run into this problem before when trying to remove the leafs springs. I'm up here in the midwest though, so we got the salt rusting everything up pretty good in winter.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Und Streisen! said:
Thanks for the response, atwinda.

Unfortunately, we got that bolt-rusted-to-bushing-sleeve problem taken care of only to run into it again on the other side (drivers). This time however, it was on the front mount location of the leaf spring. So, now I've really got a problem cause there's no way to get the damn bolt out or the old spring detached from the vehicle- that thing is rusted solid. We had a breaker bar on the bolt head and were pressing on it with both feet. Only managed to end up actually spinning the entire rubber bushing in the eyelet of the spring. Then we tried taking a C-clamp and rigging it up to try and press the bolt out. Ended up bending the C-clamp. All the while we were soaking the thing in Kroil to try and loosen it up.

To finally get the old leafs out, tommorow morning I'm going to try to find a bolt that is close enough in size to use temprorarily so we can take a grinder to both ends of the rusted bolt.

If anybody has any other ideas of things to try to get around my dilemma, I'd really appreciate any input. I would imagine others have run into this problem before when trying to remove the leafs springs. I'm up here in the midwest though, so we got the salt rusting everything up pretty good in winter.

Thanks

Nope, I think you are on the right track though. Rusted bolts suck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It looks like what happened is that there is a metal sleeve at the center of the rubber bushing but it rusted tight to the bolt of the shackle. This then requires the tearing/burning out of the bushing to seperate the shackle from the old leafs.
This seems to be the point I am at. I keep trying to spray some penetrating oil in there but so far ... no luck. What did you end up doing?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Something to try for next time would be , sticking the Sawzall blade between the frame and the leaf and cutting the boltand sleeve out that way.

Best part about livin in So.Nevada.....no ice ,no salt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts