TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I installed the Alcan springs at the rear, my TM SSR shocks are now too short. They're basically acting like limiting straps when the springs are relieved of any load. I need shocks that are at least 30" long.
Any recommendation?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I did that to obtain the 30" length. As for compression my Alcans were designed to sag by only 2" when a 4000 lb horse trailer with horse (400 lb tongue wt) is hitched to my truck. Thus with only the weight of the empty bed the springs are stiff and compression is very minimal.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
what about remaking new mounts on top of the axle?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about remaking new mounts on top of the axle?
Thats a good idea. Saves me having to buy new shocks. My current set up at the rear lends it self to installing the Rockstomper U-bolt flip kit. I'm giving them a call see if they make one for the 99 xtracab and with longer u-bolts to accommodate the thick alcan springs.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Yep, I did that to obtain the 30" length. As for compression my Alcans were designed to sag by only 2" when a 4000 lb horse trailer with horse (400 lb tongue wt) is hitched to my truck. Thus with only the weight of the empty bed the springs are stiff and compression is very minimal.

you still need to find the compressed measurement. To do that, remove your shocks and find a big dirt pile or other fairly tall 'thing' you can crawl up onto with a front tire to compress the opposite rear corner. That will determine your measurement, not info from Alcan. If you get too long a shock and go past the compressed length you can both blow a shock and snap off a mount.
Any increase in lift from stock also requires extending the bumpstops to avoid over-arching the springs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you still need to find the compressed measurement. To do that, remove your shocks and find a big dirt pile or other fairly tall 'thing' you can crawl up onto with a front tire to compress the opposite rear corner. That will determine your measurement, not info from Alcan. If you get too long a shock and go past the compressed length you can both blow a shock and snap off a mount.
Any increase in lift from stock also requires extending the bumpstops to avoid over-arching the springs.
Thanks hytenor. I will do that on both rears. As for extending the bumpstops I did a seach and the most promising of all the solutions out there is for me to fab an extension for that "tab" under the frame. I'm gonna have to figure out how to do that.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Thanks hytenor. I will do that on both rears. As for extending the bumpstops I did a seach and the most promising of all the solutions out there is for me to fab an extension for that "tab" under the frame. I'm gonna have to figure out how to do that.
easy to fab...I'll post some pics of mine later tonite.

crap..I thought I had some pics...didn't so will try to get some tomorrow.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
sorry this took so long...

one bolt through the top to attach to the OE section that is welded to the frame. I got the spacing off a little so had to cut off the bottom and realign them:rolleyes:
made of 3/16" stock cuz that's what I had at the time.
for a 3" lift, make them 3" tall, etc.

currently I have chevy springs with a flip kit so the extension is welded to the top plate. I used a 3" section of 2x4 rec tube, 3/16" wall with a top welded to it. this was then welded to the leafspring top plate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks hytenor,
In the last pic, looks like the extension attached to the OE section is mangled to offset it where it would meet the top
of the 2x4 tube extension when that part of the rear is in full compression.
Because my lift is 8.5", the offset will be greater than in yours. I will have to come up with something bulkier to cover the offset.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Thanks hytenor,
In the last pic, looks like the extension attached to the OE section is mangled to offset it where it would meet the top
of the 2x4 tube extension when that part of the rear is in full compression.
Because my lift is 8.5", the offset will be greater than in yours. I will have to come up with something bulkier to cover the offset.
wow, yea, with that much lift you will have to come up with something else.
Do you have a flip kit? that would make things easier as you can weld a beefy tower to the top plate and use the ES 4.5" stops bolted to the OE frame tab. Or, you may need to weld/bolt something to the frame at the point of the OE tab that hangs down further. Sounds like a project :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, yea, with that much lift you will have to come up with something else.
Do you have a flip kit? that would make things easier as you can weld a beefy tower to the top plate and use the ES 4.5" stops bolted to the OE frame tab. Or, you may need to weld/bolt something to the frame at the point of the OE tab that hangs down further. Sounds like a project :D

I dont have the flip kit yet. I'll probably have it next month.
I'm also considering use of an air bag instead of a beefy tower, that would be a lot lighter. The top of the air bag need not be in contact with the ES 4.5" stops above.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I dont have the flip kit yet. I'll probably have it next month.
I'm also considering use of an air bag instead of a beefy tower, that would be a lot lighter. The top of the air bag need not be in contact with the ES 4.5" stops above.
good point...hadn't thought of incorporating an airbag system to the mix. With that much lift you wouldn't have to worry about what would normally amount to a drastic stifling of articulation ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts