TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking into buying a tacoma, 96-99, i was wondering if they made v6 ext cab 5spds in those years, i was also wondering if thats the 3.0 or 3.4 motor, i wouldn't mind having the 4cyl if they are dependable. would a 4cyl and 37-39's with 5:13 gears be quick enough? it will have 35 a/ts for dd and then some 37-39's for wheelin. so mainly i need to know if you think i should get the 4cyl or 6cyl from those years. it will be getting a sas :welder: within a month or two of owning it, untill then some shackles and spacers and stuff some 33's. also, do you think i can get something in those years with under 100,000 for 10 grand or less? thanks for the help, Matt. btw im moveing from jeeps to toyota's, i've stepped up in life :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
its the 3.4 if the v6

a friend has 5.29s in his 85 with 36s and its quick enough for wheeling, but it pretty much sucks on the street.

if you arent in a hurry to get it, you can find trucks with low miles and at a decent price, a lot less than 10k... just need to look around for it

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've got a 98 xtra cab, 5 speed with the 2.7L... no sas, just a set of 31" Firestone destination M/Ts... I think it has 4.88 gears (stock)... Would have definitely gone with the v6 if I had a choice... but that's just my .02... gas mileage isn't a whole lot better, especially when some people drive the tiny engines like they're rockets... then you tend to get worse gas mileage than the optional larger engine...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Creepin n' Crawlin said:
im looking into buying a tacoma, 96-99, i was wondering if they made v6 ext cab 5spds in those years, i was also wondering if thats the 3.0 or 3.4 motor, i wouldn't mind having the 4cyl if they are dependable. would a 4cyl and 37-39's with 5:13 gears be quick enough? it will have 35 a/ts for dd and then some 37-39's for wheelin. so mainly i need to know if you think i should get the 4cyl or 6cyl from those years. it will be getting a sas :welder: within a month or two of owning it, untill then some shackles and spacers and stuff some 33's. also, do you think i can get something in those years with under 100,000 for 10 grand or less? thanks for the help, Matt. btw im moveing from jeeps to toyota's, i've stepped up in life :D
Depending on your location you may even be able to find a SAS'd rig for your budget. The 100K mi will be hard, but isn't even an issue, imho.

Way to step up from the heep. Search this forum, you will find more info than you could ever need. The 3.4L v. 2.7L has been discussed ad nauseum as far as that goes...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, before the sas its gonna get sliders and tube doors, exaust and maybe header, and a deckplate mod since im not much into water and don't wanna cut up a nice truck for a snorkel, im going to go with the v6 and hopefully a stick even though i never drove one before, my buddys guy a 5spd 95 wrangler he said he'd let me beat on to learn lol i will definatlly be on here alot asking for help, thanks, Matt

·
Registered
553 Posts
Eztrog88 said:
no, you don't
That's why I said I think... why don't you tell me what gear ratio my truck has then?

·
Registered
984 Posts
HoT_DoGgIN said:
That's why I said I think... why don't you tell me what gear ratio my truck has then?
According to the 1998 factory spec sheet, a 3RZ 5-speed manual 4X4 had a stock final gear ratio of 3.416 (the only 4WD model to have the same final gear ratio as its 2RZ 2WD counterpart).

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'll have to write that down somewhere... might come in handy

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts