TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The craigslist ad read: Free Dirt
The homeowner was doing excavation with a rented bobcat and the pics show the rest.
The loader bucket fell on one rail, went into the bed to smash the opposite wheel well. Estimates range from 3500 to 6500. Truck is an 2001 with Icon suspension etc...
I'm worried the adjuster will want to total it out. The homeowner (homeowner's insurance claim for him) is willing to cut a check for the lowest estimate. As you can see the suspension was bumpstop to the frame, so I'm worried that there's more than the body damage that the estimates are for. But again, I don't want to total it out at only 165000 miles.

Should I start the claim or take the money and run? Or try to talk him into splitting the difference at $4500 given that it may have hidden damage?

What should I look at? The shock mounts? The shackles? How to tell if anything down there is effed up??

·
Registered
507 Posts
if the trucks in your possession then I would look it over for any bent or newly exposed metal or kinks. If you have it, pull the bed. if the mounts are pushed down, then consider that too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I've looked a lot and found nothing. That was a lot of weight though. As I mentioned the bumpstop was bottomed, inverting the leaf pack and remaining that way for the 20 minutes it took an excavator to lift the thing off.

Anyone ever take a salvage title? Any problems with insurance? I have no plans to ever sell the truck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like it wasn't so free after all. After you've lived awhile longer you'll eventually come to realize that there is no such thing as free.

WTF was he trying to do anyway? Looks as if he may have gotten some of those free lessons on operating a backhoe.
Right...so much for free dirt. The guy was 77 years old, apparently used to be a heavy equipment operator. I think he underestimated the instability of a bobcat with a full bucket.

My face went NOOOOOOOOO....as it fell forward...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea what the salvage value of an 01 Taco is to the insurance co.?

If they opt to total loss it I'm wondering what the payout would be for me to keep it. I figure it's bluebook to be around 8K, but what would a salvage yard pay?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I rear ended someone (regretably) about 8 years ago in my Tacoma. It was totaled. No bent frame, but fenders, core support, driver apron, etc were all junk. I bought it back at the time for 1800, insurance valued it right at 10,000. So I ended up getting aobut 8200 back, they just deducted the truck value from it.

Will it affect registration? Not sure, but it didn't change ownership so I'd say no, it wont. Didn't affect mine. May depend on your state, though. As far as I can see if homeowners gives you 4500 that has nothing to do with auto insurance or the DMV (to the best of my knowledge) so I'd bet you're clear there too.

Frame, you'd have to ask the shops that gave you estimates. See if they noted anything. I'd guess if it doesnt drive any different than it did before, you're fine. But being it did get laid into by something pretty heavy, I would be worried. And yeah, what kala said. Also look for clean paint cracks. If it's just the bed, you can probably find one for less than 1 grand.

I'd also guess, based off hitting the bump stop the two areas of concern:
-The axle housing drive side, look for bending under the bump between the tires; its a semi-floating axle so the drive axle on the driver side may be suspect
-The back driver side frame section around the bump stop

·
Registered
311 Posts
Who gave you the estimate? You really check everything out before excepting anything. Another option, talk to an attorney if you're not satistfied with any results.:2cents:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who gave you the estimate? You really check everything out before excepting anything. Another option, talk to an attorney if you're not satistfied with any results.:2cents:
I got multiple estimates and nobody looked under the bed! All of them just said "new bed".
I've noticed a couple things underneath now:
The bumpstop actually went up the side of the frame plate it's supposed to bump against, so the axle was torqued sideways a good bit. There is also a gouge on the gas tank strap where the leaf pack clamp jammed against it, again shouldn't be able to touch even at bottom out.

Furthermore the bed is off center by about a half inch, possible that the forwardmost vertical tabs off the frame which mount the bed were tweaked.
All in all I don't have a ton of concern, nothing seems like it'd be beyond a simple fix. I'm waiting for the insurance adjuster to have a look and I'll point everything out to him.
Thanks for the help...seems it'll likely be a total loss and salvage title, no way I'm getting rid of it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rear ended someone (regretably) about 8 years ago in my Tacoma. It was totaled. No bent frame, but fenders, core support, driver apron, etc were all junk. I bought it back at the time for 1800, insurance valued it right at 10,000. So I ended up getting aobut 8200 back, they just deducted the truck value from it.

Will it affect registration? Not sure, but it didn't change ownership so I'd say no, it wont. Didn't affect mine. May depend on your state, though. As far as I can see if homeowners gives you 4500 that has nothing to do with auto insurance or the DMV (to the best of my knowledge) so I'd bet you're clear there too.

Frame, you'd have to ask the shops that gave you estimates. See if they noted anything. I'd guess if it doesnt drive any different than it did before, you're fine. But being it did get laid into by something pretty heavy, I would be worried. And yeah, what kala said. Also look for clean paint cracks. If it's just the bed, you can probably find one for less than 1 grand.

I'd also guess, based off hitting the bump stop the two areas of concern:
-The axle housing drive side, look for bending under the bump between the tires; its a semi-floating axle so the drive axle on the driver side may be suspect
-The back driver side frame section around the bump stop
All this salvage title stuff was new to me. Doesn't sound like such a bad thing in a case like this. May be time for some upgrading...:welder:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I got multiple estimates and nobody looked under the bed! All of them just said "new bed".
I've noticed a couple things underneath now:
The bumpstop actually went up the side of the frame plate it's supposed to bump against, so the axle was torqued sideways a good bit. There is also a gouge on the gas tank strap where the leaf pack clamp jammed against it, again shouldn't be able to touch even at bottom out.

Furthermore the bed is off center by about a half inch, possible that the forwardmost vertical tabs off the frame which mount the bed were tweaked.
All in all I don't have a ton of concern, nothing seems like it'd be beyond a simple fix. I'm waiting for the insurance adjuster to have a look and I'll point everything out to him.
Thanks for the help...seems it'll likely be a total loss and salvage title, no way I'm getting rid of it.
Make sure adjuster takes photos of all damage to your truck. If possible, remove box and take some more photos. Then last resort, do attorney.:cool:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well if you're determined, I have some useful measurements for you. The bed is off my 99 extended cab, so I took them for reference before I weld the plates on. There are two crossmembers in the back of the frame. One goes over the back of the gas tank, the strap bolts to it that you mentioned. The distance ~between~ the frame rails near that x-member is about 36.75". The back most x-member is the one that your spare tire holds. The approx distance between the frame rails near it is 36.8125". And a easier one to get to, on the back end of your frame several inches from the end of the rails; the distance between the rails here is about 36.625". You can see a common theme, about 36.75". THese were all taken with the bed off, so it was a pretty straight tape measure. If you deviate more than 0.25" from that I'd think there is a pretty clear frame problem. If so, I'd get new quotes pointing out the potential for frame damage. I'd also be worried that the frame missed the bump stop that badly, though I do know there is inevitable misalignment with leafs under flex, I doubt it's that much, though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if you're determined, I have some useful measurements for you. The bed is off my 99 extended cab, so I took them for reference before I weld the plates on. There are two crossmembers in the back of the frame. One goes over the back of the gas tank, the strap bolts to it that you mentioned. The distance ~between~ the frame rails near that x-member is about 36.75". The back most x-member is the one that your spare tire holds. The approx distance between the frame rails near it is 36.8125". And a easier one to get to, on the back end of your frame several inches from the end of the rails; the distance between the rails here is about 36.625". You can see a common theme, about 36.75". THese were all taken with the bed off, so it was a pretty straight tape measure. If you deviate more than 0.25" from that I'd think there is a pretty clear frame problem. If so, I'd get new quotes pointing out the potential for frame damage. I'd also be worried that the frame missed the bump stop that badly, though I do know there is inevitable misalignment with leafs under flex, I doubt it's that much, though.
Sounds good. I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So an update and more advice needed...
The other guy's insurance is covering the damage. The problem is that all estimates are 'preliminary' due to the potential for unseen damage to frame/suspension etc.
In order to get an accurate idea of the damage they would have to remove the bed etc., in which case I would want them to reassemble it so I can cash out.

Obviously they don't want to do any disassembly unless it's going to be repaired. Where does that leave me???
The preliminary estimates are the bare minimum, if there is frame tweaking the cash out check would double as a salvage title deal but I can't know there is frame damage without getting it worked on.

Any thoughts? Ask them to split the minimum and the total loss?

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
So you want the all cash as if it was completely gone through and fixed, but don't want them to even fix it? Hidden damage is just that. You don't know the extent of it until the shop does their work.

You are in a catch-22 situation. Have them fix it or take what you can get. To me, that's the rub if you want to keep the broken truck and walk with the cash.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you want the all cash as if it was completely gone through and fixed, but don't want them to even fix it? Hidden damage is just that. You don't know the extent of it until the shop does their work.

You are in a catch-22 situation. Have them fix it or take what you can get. To me, that's the rub if you want to keep the broken truck and walk with the cash.
Alignment shows the rear axle sits 0.4 inches off center and 0.2 inches forward on one side.
Any idea what spec is? I doubt they come off the line exact and it feels fine to drive.
I'll probably pull the bed and check the frame myself. Only other possibility I can think of is that the shackles got tweaked on the bushings, although they look equal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Alignment shows the rear axle sits 0.4 inches off center and 0.2 inches forward on one side.
Any idea what spec is? I doubt they come off the line exact and it feels fine to drive.
I'll probably pull the bed and check the frame myself. Only other possibility I can think of is that the shackles got tweaked on the bushings, although they look equal.
I do not know specs. But other alternative is having body shop putting your truck on frame machine and technician can tell what needs to be done.:confused::2cents:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts