TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm in the process of buying an 84 Toyota pickup with a small block Chevy motor, TH350 tranny, Longfield axles, lockers front and rear, bobbed bed, etc. The guy also has an 87 4 Runner with a locker in the front, welded rear, crossover steering, 5.29 gears, 5 to 1 gears in the transfer case, SAS front, with a 4 cyl 5 speed powertrain.

I know very little about Toyotas, but I do know that the truck has V6 axles and the 4 Runner has 4 cyl axles. I can get the 4 Runner for a little cheaper than what I can get the truck for, but I'm wondering if it's worth going with the cheaper rig. Savings would only be about $200, so I'm leaning toward sticking with the truck, although the 4 Runner would be better on the trails and stuff because of the lower gears. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Gears are cheap compared to Longfields... and with a small block, I doubt you'll ever be hurting for power/torque. Plus a truck is just all around better for 'wheeling than a 4runner. Not so much difference with a first gen with the removable top, but there's a lot of extra weight and glass when the top is on...

Note: not a whole lot of strength difference between the 4 cyl and V6 axles ... with Longfields done right, you're stronger than a D44 ... the problem becomes the 8" ring gear at low ratios (lower than 4.88).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that was pretty much my take on things, but like I said, I don't know a whole lot about Toyotas. Didn't know if there was something special about the 4 Runners that made them better, or if there was something special about the 87s or whatever. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts