TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO it all started when I was driving to my dads. I took the freeway off ramp and as I was getting off the freeway I was unaware that my battery was not properly secured. As I took the right hand turn the positive terminal touched the tie down which caused it to spark and short circuit. The sparks then caught the power steering hose on fire which burned till I could put it out. I replaced the power steering hose which was the only thing damaged in the fire and when I started the truck it was acting weird. It idles okay, however when you give it gas it spits and sputters and acts as though it wants to die. The battery light stays solid on the dash and the check engine light comes on as well. I am not sure what the problem is, any ideas?

Today when I was trying to work on it I had it running and I could give it gas and it would rev up fine and the check engine light would flash on and off, battery light still on constantly. And when I turned my headlights on the belts would start to squeak slightly and when I clicked on my high beams the truck died.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You killed the alternator.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You killed the alternator.
x2

Try starting the truck, then remove the positive from the battery.

If the truck dies at that point, your charging system is not working, and your truck is running 100% from the battery.

Could also be a blown fuseable link and a good alternator....not sure, but a possibility.

·
Registered
779 Posts
:clap: i am replacing all your hot wires running directly to the battery as we speak. some of the wires were burnt! :eek: hoopty setups much? oh well we both learned. hope it all gets figured out Brian. if you end up getting a new alternator lemme know which you go with..

-Alex

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the alternator was dead so I replaced the alternator and battery and now whenever I connect the battery cables it sparks and the 80 amp alternator fuse blows. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Short

You have a short between the alternator and the battery. Disconnect the alternator and connect the battery. If the fuse still blows with the large alternator wire loose, the wire itself is burnt and grounded somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.