TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright DIYers...

just bought our first house this past December. The house is 7 years old, but the deck was never really taken care of very well or so it appears. The floor of the deck does not appear to have any stain on it. The railings however, have either been painted or had a solid stain on it, not really sure which or how to tell. I am in the process of replacing the horizontal hand rails at the top of the railing. The paint/stain was peeling and some of the boards were warped on the ends. I have also replaced a couple rotted boards on the floor of the deck, the rest seems to be solid, but not the best condition.

So, I looked into doing the Restore/Rescue/Deckover stuff, but all of those had terrible reviews.

I have decided to do a semi-transparent stain on the deck and solid stain on the railings. I am going to try to do a two-tone color scheme with the floor being a dark brown and railings being white.

Where I need help is, what do I do with the current paint or stain on the railings? Can I paint or use the solid stain over that, or do I need to try to strip it?

My deck is 512 sq. ft so it is a pretty large deck so looking for the best/easiest way to take care of the paint on the spindles and railing.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
If you are painting, I would paint right over it unless it looks like there are spots where any previous coatings are coming off.

Maybe a pressure washer, or a really stiff bristle brush and some elbow grease to rough it up a bit, and then paint, or solid stain.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I would take a pressure washer to the railings and then apply "coats" of the white paint for decks.
homedepot/lowes/sherwin all have stations in store for recommendations on what to use for the age and condition of the deck wood.

I just did a rebuild this summer and ended up going with the fake wood from lowes, 30 warranty and cedar posts because it has the longest life of outdoor wood on the market. the pressure treated pine sucks, they do it so fast now its just crap and will shrink and warp. I have gaps b/f my tear down of 1/2 inch.

I also changed my railings so damn bees couldn't nest in it. My main goal was a better looking deck and NO maintenance(i was restaining every two years)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah going to pressure wash tomorrow and see what it does, will use solid stain or exterior paint.

looks very good C, however my deck is 512 sq ft, so that would cost about half of what we paid for our house lol, not really, but it would come close! I would love to go that route though.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sure most of you saw on facebook, but here is the deck mostly finished up along with recently completed table. Just need to make the hand rails for the smaller side and stain them. ill wait till spring to do that.

picture is a little dark

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
As I mentioned on FB, my only concern would be the aging of the stain, so that the spring rails will be a different color.
Could likely redo a light coat over this years stuff when you do the spring rails, and come out okay, if there is a big difference. Hopefully there wont be though.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah ill see. I will update again in the spring to see how it looks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
gregers05
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing