TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an acura and im doing the timing belt on it as it it is over due, the crank bolt is being more stubborn than it should, i have broken a few 1/2 inch extentions ratchets and breaker bars, i have the honda tool to hold the crank, what im wondering is if anyone has a 3/4 inch impact with a 19mm socket, i just need to get this bolt broken loose,

i have used propane as well as mapp gas to heat the bolt, repeated n-force applications......its just not coming loose

a 3/4 inch is the only other way i can think aside of putting it all back together and taking it to work to use the oxy-acetylene torch to heat the crank bolt.......
any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you still need help call me in the morning. I dont have 3/4 inch stuff, but I do have some other stuff :) I'm really good on HOndas and acuras too.

-Dan

... and no it is not reverse threaded

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've got a big tool, but I'm afraid I'm not available unless you're hot and female.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That tool you have is nice. You can wedge it against the ground and use a nice long breaker bar from the top, or I have my snap-on electric impact. It gets a lot of bolts off that my air impact cant get off. I have impact sockets that wont break doing that either.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
That tool you have is nice. You can wedge it against the ground and use a nice long breaker bar from the top, or I have my snap-on electric impact. It gets a lot of bolts off that my air impact cant get off. I have impact sockets that wont break doing that either.
This is how I had to get my flywheel bolts off...except neither of my impact guns would do it either... But I wedged the engine against the ground then got a huge breaker bar and another set of hands and managed to break them all loose finally... Damn, I hate shit like that.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The last time I did a timing belt on my old Integra, the motor was sitting on a bench. It took three of us, 3/4" ratchet, 4' breaker bar, and about 200lb's of weight on the end of that breaker to get the crank bolt loose :eek::eek: No impact gun that I could get my hands on could have broken that bolt free.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yup, thats the easiest way to get those off. After such a long time of heating up and cooling down, they get damn tight.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i havent broken a socket yet, but i have been trying it that way, i need to replace a broken breaker bar and extension then i can try it again :(

my IR 1/2" impact @ 150 psi with extra air tool oil, and heat still wouldnt break it loose........

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
ive got a mac 1/2" gun that does 1000ft/lbs in reverse... haven't ran into anything i couldn't take off yet. granted there were a few bolts that were rusted in enough that it snapped a 3/4" bolt off....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
ive got a mac 1/2" gun that does 1000ft/lbs in reverse... haven't ran into anything i couldn't take off yet. granted there were a few bolts that were rusted in enough that it snapped a 3/4" bolt off....
Thats more than I have to offer :) I would use that gun in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
im just worried about what happens when it snaps the bolt off? lol it is a nice toy though... composite with like 85 dba sound rating...

if that doesn't work i have some strapon breaker bars??

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
......im so frustrated with it.....if it breaks the bolt off.......oh well we will cross that bridge when we get there....the t-belt has to get done soon

·
Registered
372 Posts
Honda crank bolts are rediculous. The bolt shouldn't break there just stupid tight. There is a special tool that fits in the large hex pattern in the crank pulley, you just rest it agianst the control arm/ground and get a long 1/2 breaker bar and go to town. Honda crank bolts are the only reason I own a 3/4 in impact, I've got a stout 1/2 impact and half the time it won't touch them. Let me know if your need to use the 3/4 and we can maybe hook up. You have an air source?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
have the stupid crank tool......

first one to break it loose gets 10$........isnt ot much but for 3 seconds of work it should be enough for a couple gallons of gas........i have a 20 gallon compressor good for a few short bursts of air, any help would be appreciated....pm me and we will set something up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts