TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am leaving for a 3 day trip thursday, I have 1 day to replace my starter.
I need to know where it is located, how long it takes to do and what the job consists of. my bro is doing it but said he won't unless I get more info on it.
he is going on the same trip and is getting his lc ready too. any help, thanks
Its a 1996 v6 if that helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
it is located on the passenger side of the transmission. It is a pain to get to unless you have a body lift. I believe there are only 2 or 3 bolts holding it to the tranny.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,843 Posts
werdwerd said:
I am leaving for a 3 day trip thursday, I have 1 day to replace my starter.
I need to know where it is located, how long it takes to do and what the job consists of. my bro is doing it but said he won't unless I get more info on it.
he is going on the same trip and is getting his lc ready too. any help, thanks
Its a 1996 v6 if that helps!
I wonder if Mike Ross (norcal pres) has a write-up on that since he just replaced his last summer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
hytenor said:
I wonder if Mike Ross (norcal pres) has a write-up on that since he just replaced his last summer.
I don't have a writeup (I firmly believe that not everything in life needs a writeup!)

It was fairly easy to replace. A couple wires and two bolts. I understand it is much more difficult on a truck that still has all the IFS stuff in the way. :D

On the V6 it's on the passenger side, you can mess with it through the wheel well. Disconnect your battery first if you don't want to melt a wrench to your frame.

Later,
....Mike
 

·
Tacoma-dana 44
Joined
·
383 Posts
I think it's 2 bolts that are on very tight. First remove the selenoid and power wire. The power wire is under a plastic cover that pops off, the selenoid wire comes off w/ a phillips screwdriver as I remember.

I have 6" SAS w/ no body lift. Access was easy. I don't know about access w/ stock height or IFS.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,843 Posts
Mike said:
I don't have a writeup (I firmly believe that not everything in life needs a writeup!)

It was fairly easy to replace. A couple wires and two bolts. I understand it is much more difficult on a truck that still has all the IFS stuff in the way. :D

On the V6 it's on the passenger side, you can mess with it through the wheel well. Disconnect your battery first if you don't want to melt a wrench to your frame.

Later,
....Mike
now you have a write-up :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,843 Posts
Mike said:
Since I'm a relatively nice and helpful person most of the time, here's a page out of the FSM.

Later,
....Mike

http://www.norcalttora.com/~mike/fsm/5vzfe_starter.pdf
hey, you missed a fun snow trip today ;) we got caught in a white-out at the top of Iron Mt @ hwy 88, weee! Two different parties got to spend last night up there cuz they went up by themselves, unprepared, stupid...and got stuck. SAR (search and rescue) has a cool orange snow cat ;) We made it all the way through and Brad managed it in 2wd cuz his lft front hub broke and locked half way...couldn't run in 3wd as it kept making the tcase go clunk.
a few stucks, A dork in a Nissan who tried to follow us got REALLY stuck.

a fun day ;)

when should we go again? :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
hytenor said:
hey, you missed a fun snow trip today ;) we got caught in a white-out at the top of Iron Mt @ hwy 88, weee! Two different parties got to spend last night up there cuz they went up by themselves, unprepared, stupid...and got stuck. SAR (search and rescue) has a cool orange snow cat ;) We made it all the way through and Brad managed it in 2wd cuz his lft front hub broke and locked half way...couldn't run in 3wd as it kept making the tcase go clunk.
a few stucks, A dork in a Nissan who tried to follow us got REALLY stuck.

a fun day ;)

when should we go again? :D
Sounds like fun! When do you want to go? Name a weekend and I'll email the chapter.

Later,
....Mike
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,843 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,294 Posts
you're a machine...do you ever sleep or just post on here 24/7?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,843 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
you're a machine...do you ever sleep or just post on here 24/7?
hey, I was gone all day today ;)

actually, I'm "off" until Mar 29th :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
post slut

hytenor said:
hey, I was gone all day today ;)

actually, I'm "off" until Mar 29th :cool:
you are kinda a post whore, more of a post slut. However, I do strive to be your equal, LOL!!
 

·
Random Dude
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Are you sure you even need to replace the starter? Most of my starter problems were fixed by simply cleaning the main power wire to the starter. Just wire brushing it was enough to fix it for another 3 months.

After that finally stopped working, replacing the contacts inside the starter have made it run like new again.

Replacing a tacoma starter is unheard of except by stubborn people who insist it needs replacing.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top