TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am plugging in 4 new lights up front on my bar; 55w each. 2 pencil, 2 fog. 6" lights. So, is there a suitable lead to go after from the fuse box, or under the hood? I'm assuming a #12 pair of leads to carry the load should suffice, I'll split them on 2 switches to keep the load down. Or, is that necessary?? I can run #10 up to the front, and single switch them all, I am not too concerned with the output if I find a 30A switch. Or, do I just dirty up the battery connections with a hot lead??? It is still a daily driver, though it is going down the path of no return,....any help or ideas are appreciated!! Thanks, Paul. :xdevil:

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
rojodiablo said:
I am plugging in 4 new lights up front on my bar; 55w each. 2 pencil, 2 fog. 6" lights. So, is there a suitable lead to go after from the fuse box, or under the hood? I'm assuming a #12 pair of leads to carry the load should suffice, I'll split them on 2 switches to keep the load down. Or, is that necessary?? I can run #10 up to the front, and single switch them all, I am not too concerned with the output if I find a 30A switch. Or, do I just dirty up the battery connections with a hot lead??? It is still a daily driver, though it is going down the path of no return,....any help or ideas are appreciated!! Thanks, Paul. :xdevil:
I got tired of having tons of wires for accessories tied straight to the battery so I installed an aux fuse block near the battery and connected them all there. Whatever you do, keep the fuses as close to the source as possible.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
rojodiablo said:
If you don't want to tap off your + battery terminal there is a stud inside your engine compartment fuse block that is hot at all times. It is the main supply to the fuse block on the left side looking from the front of the truck. I would put a ring terminal on a 10 gauge wire and go off that stud. Stick a 20a fuse and a relay so you don't need such a big switch. From there 12 or 14 gauge would be fine for the individual lights.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flatlandtacoma said:
If you don't want to tap off your + battery terminal there is a stud inside your engine compartment fuse block that is hot at all times. It is the main supply to the fuse block on the left side looking from the front of the truck. I would put a ring terminal on a 10 gauge wire and go off that stud. Stick a 20a fuse and a relay so you don't need such a big switch. From there 12 or 14 gauge would be fine for the individual lights.
Sweet!! Found it, job done. Thasnks for the info.Paul.

·
Registered
122 Posts
rojodiablo said:
I just wired 3 lightforce 170's for the front of my truck and I used a single 30amp relay and switch and used all 14ga. wire. I wired the lights in parallel so the voltage is the same at each lamp. If you're planning on using your fog lights for fog then I would use two switches so that you can have your fogs turn on independantly of your pencils - you don't want to use your pencil beams in fog. If you don't plan on using your fogs or pencils independant of each other and want to use them together at all times I would use one switch to activate 2 30amp relays. Each relay should have it's own fused line from your source whether it be the battery or an aux fuse block. Each relay will feed 2 lights only. As for your switch you will have one ground and one fused source lead, wire your third terminal to both relays (using two wires crimped into one terminal), this will activate both relays - turning on all four lights when you flip the switch. This is how I plan on wiring my rock lights...

I'm using an aux fuse block. I ran 4ga from the battery to under my steering column in the cab, this keeps my battery terminals clean =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts