TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, this is going to be long, so if you don't like books, leave now because I am going to start from the beginning.

- I bought my 2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 3.4 2WD from a business in Central Florida. It had 136,000 miles, a dent here and there, and of course the business decals all over. I got it for a good price, drove it the 4 hours back home and began to clean her up and remove all of the company stickers/decals.
- About a month goes by, and the truck is doing great, when all of a sudden, I start getting a loud roaring sound from the tires. This turns out to be a driver side rear wheel bearing. I take it upon myself to remove the axle shaft myself and take it to a local shop to press on the new bearing.
- I put the axle shaft back on, with a new seal and I get a leak, a very bad one. The shop left off one of the retainers, so the retainer wasn't even touching the seal. The shop re did the abs ring and retainers, and I replaced the shaft and seal once again, but I still get a leak. I was using the Tomkin seals as I couldn't get the factory ones in without denting the very flimsy metal. I take it back to the shop, and they offer to take the axle shaft out and replace the seal, which they did and the leak stops. I also replace the diff fluid at this time, no flakes to be seen.
- This is when the shaking starts (that I can remember). I am now at 143,000 miles and the rear end shakes at 45-50 and really at all speeds above, but most noticable at 50mph.
- I am thinking now that the new bearing got washed out with fluid when the shop installed the retainers incorrectly, so I ordered one from an online junk yard to bypass the headache, but little did I know it was just starting. The junk yard sent the passenger side, which will not work due to the emergency brake, so I sent it back and left it alone. Also at this time, I had already removed the axle shaft, because at this time I am a pro and can remove it in 5 minutes. The shop that put the seal in used a Toyota seal but noticably dented it in when installing it.
- I took it in to get Hunter aligned, and still no help, it still shakes.
- I finally order another junkyard axle shaft. It comes in and I put it on, and no change, does the EXACT same thing. I am pretty sure that it would be very uncommon that both wheel bearings would be bad and do the exact same thing at the exact same speed. No sounds from either side, and no play.
- At this point I am fed up with it, and take the truck in to have the rear brakes checked, and the U Joints looked at. The shop adjusts the shoes, which are in great shape, and spend all day balancing the tires, rotating them, removing the driveshaft, and checking the shocks. The shake is still there, and they are stumped.
- I found a spot on the driveshaft that looked like a weight came off. I took it in, had all of the U Joints changed, the center support bearing changed, and the shaft balanced. No change.
- I just got back from a total 300+ mile trip and she shook the whole way on the freeway, just doesn't seem safe.

At this point I am just tired of fooling with the truck. A part of me just wants to sell it, but I won't get anywhere near the price it is worth due to the shake, and besides the shake, I love the truck and don't want to part with it.

I am not sure what my next action(s) should be???

The ONLY thing that I can come up with (as I am almost positive that this shake didn't occur until the bearing change) is the fact that maybe the seal that they dented in while installing is out of round to some degree and rubbing on the retainer on the axle shaft, but then again this should shread the rubber on the seal, and possibly leave a mark on the retainer, both of which I don't see.

Should I replace the seal? I would of course have another shop do it, as I am a retard when it comes to seating seals it seems.

Please let me know of any ideas you guys may have. I am open to all of them. \

Thanks for hanging in there with me guys!!! :(

·
Registered
644 Posts
Did the Bearings get the proper amount of Grease packed into them?

·
Registered
112 Posts
does your truck have the center support bearing( driveshaft carrier bearing). I've never had trouble with this even at 270k miles but some people on here seem to have trouble with it going bad and causing a shake. Might check it for some play?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does your truck have the center support bearing( driveshaft carrier bearing). I've never had trouble with this even at 270k miles but some people on here seem to have trouble with it going bad and causing a shake. Might check it for some play?
I just had the u joints and center support bearing replaced. That wasn't it.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Is there any way you bent the axle shaft? A bent shaft will cause a bad vibration, almost like an out of balance tire. Did you haul anything heavy or jump the truck? Just a shot since I see you covered most everything else. What about the output on the trans? What about the gears in the axle? Chances are they are fine, but I would check everything, especially since it was a work truck with 136K.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
And if you've replaced a bearing on one side, you might as well do the other. It's got just as many miles on it and is only a matter of time before it goes bad as well.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
no seal, no matter how screwed up will cause a vibration... leaks yes, all other manner of collateral damage, yes, but no vibration.

Are you sure the vibration is coming from the rear?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Mine does that too. I just don't drive 50.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
no seal, no matter how screwed up will cause a vibration... leaks yes, all other manner of collateral damage, yes, but no vibration.

Are you sure the vibration is coming from the rear?
Yeah I'd suggest moving to the front and replacing those wheel bearings while your at it. At that mileage they need done, and they can definitely cause vibration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'd suggest moving to the front and replacing those wheel bearings while your at it. At that mileage they need done, and they can definitely cause vibration.
The tires have been moved around numerous times, and that side has NO play in it.

I thought they always made a noise when going bad? Like the other one did.

Either way, I should be able to take it out and inspect to see what kind of shape it is in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
rear axle problem

Why don't u lift the truck up on stands and drive the truck up to speed and listen where it is coming from . U can use a screw driver up to the housing against your ear to here any vibration. It will eliminate any tire out of round because u will see it. U can change tires front to rear that will tell if it is a tire. U joints can be put in wrong and also can be bad when new. Listen for the vibration there as well. The third member could be bad from the fluid leaking, check for vibration there.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Me too

U know I hate to say this but I am having a very similar problem. With my 01 tundra. I replaced both front wheel bearings, all the ball joints, the seals, both calipers and rotors, drums and shoes and I was about to start on the u-joints and I found this post. I also had the tires balanced and rotated 3 times and the tire shop said that they think its the tires but that they won't warranty them until they are down to the wear indicators. I also have a bit of a brake squeak and almost like a grinding sound if I brake hard. i had the new bearings checked to make sure they were still good and there is absolutely no play in any of them. Somebody please shed some light on the subject here I can't handle this any longer.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yup...put the truck up on stands and you'll git a better idea to see where the vibration is coming from. ;)
Well the problem with that is my truck only really shakes between 50 and 70 and frankly I don't like the idea of having the truck on jack stands with the wheels spinning at that kind of speed.:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts