TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Lincoln 180 Mig welder and I'm successfully welding strong welds on 1/16" and 1/8" material, my problem is that yesterday I tried to weld 3/16" plate tabs to a 1/4" beam and the welds are not holding, when some stress is applied to the tabs, the weld fails.

My question is what would be the recommended settings in terms of wire speed and amperage for welding the 3/16" tabs to the 1/4" beams.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The machine will give basic settings on the inside panel based on material being welded and size/type of wire being used.

In general, if you are not getting enough penetration in the metal you need to turn up the heat. wire speed can vary depending on how fast you move. Make small adjustments till it makes the right sound while welding and feels smooth and easy. I always use the recommended settings on the inside of the machine as a starting point. If you dont have that you can find them online.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nJDavGdQhBE/TU2uZRbmHbI/AAAAAAAAAac/jtgJSyCMjxo/s1600/100_3794.JPG

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
r U using mig wire with 75/25 argon/CO2 mix ?
r U insuring the ground is clean/prepared, including the pieces to be welded ?

U did change the cable connection settings
in accordance with either flux or mig ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
r U using mig wire with 75/25 argon/CO2 mix ?
r U insuring the ground is clean/prepared, including the pieces to be welded ?

U did change the cable connection settings
in accordance with either flux or mig ?

Innershield MP211 .30 wire

Ground is clean and bare metal where the welds are taking place

Cable settings are correct

These welds don't need to look good (45' high on a steel structure so no one is going up there to admire them) but sure need to be strong

thanks

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Is this 45' tall project of yours laying down ground level currently or are you somehow welding 45' I'm the air?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this 45' tall project of yours laying down ground level currently or are you somehow welding 45' I'm the air?
It's an existing structure, I'm welding 2"x2"x3/16" tabs to the roof beams to be able to attach 3/32" cables to the structure, yes I'm welding up in the air from a boom lift with the machine right next to me connected with a 50' extension to a 6.5k generator on my truck.

Also, I checked the suggested settings inside the welders door and I was using the correct ones, I'm thinking it has to be the direction I'm pointing the torch, tomorrow will try again and slow the pace to see if it works better.

Any more tips or input is greatly appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
It's an existing structure, I'm welding 2"x2"x3/16" tabs to the roof beams to be able to attach 3/32" cables to the structure, yes I'm welding up in the air from a boom lift with the machine right next to me connected with a 50' extension to a 6.5k generator on my truck.

Also, I checked the suggested settings inside the welders door and I was using the correct ones, I'm thinking it has to be the direction I'm pointing the torch, tomorrow will try again and slow the pace to see if it works better.

thanks
Check to see that your extension cord is thick enough gauge not to be getting voltage drop across that distance (i've seen some rather puny extension cords being used with welders before)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Check to see that your extension cord is thick enough gauge not to be getting voltage drop across that distance (i've seen some rather puny extension cords being used with welders before)
That's exactly why I asked... Could be the distance from the power source if using to light of an extension.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

thanks
unless you are using a 10g cord, there's your problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anytime I weld I set my welder to the thicker metal and start on the thicker metal then flow the puddle to the thinner metal to get full penetration. Also make sure the area that's being welded is cleaned well, wire brush or sandpaper will do it.

·
4,068 Posts
If you are asking these questions, should you really be welding structural tabs in the first place?

(Not hating, but unless there are no ramifications to a failed weld or falling cable, then get a certified welder or at least someone who feels comfortable to weld this for you)

Also be sure you are not welding across the flange of the "roof beams" as well. The tab should be oriented so the welds are all lengthwise withthe beam.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are asking these questions, should you really be welding structural tabs in the first place?

(Not hating, but unless there are no ramifications to a failed weld or falling cable, then get a certified welder or at least someone who feels comfortable to weld this for you)

Also be sure you are not welding across the flange of the "roof beams" as well. The tab should be oriented so the welds are all lengthwise withthe beam.
Don't worry the tabs will hold a net system for bird control, very light loads.
I've been welding for many yrs with sticks, just learning MIG lately, unless the welds are good I won't hang the wire.

By the way, figured this out, changed the extension to 10/3, the 12/3 was good for 16ga and 12ga material, but not good enough for heavy material, now the welds are strong and I tested one with a sledge and the tab bended but the weld holds great.

Thanks for the help to all

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you pushing or pulling the puddle?

Reason i ask is you get better penetration dragging it because the metal is being pushed back into the weld puddle, but you usually get a better looking weld pushing it that will lay flatter. I usually either do a circle O motion, depending on the position i'm welding i go from top to bottom in order to keep the metal spread out correctly. I will weave it depending on what it is too, pausing a second on each wall. It's hard to give great help over the internet without showing you i think. If i'm having trouble with penetration, i will cut the heat up and maybe the wire speed down a little just to be sure.

If you can stick weld, i'd think you would pick up MIG/Flux without a skip. A monkey can MIG.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts