TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, long story short, '07 4Runner or FJC?
Debbie wants to partake in our adventures so, I know the aftermarket is all over the FJC but, she seems to be leaning more towards the runner. I need to make sure I can do DR's up front and what ever in the rear to get her 3" of lift. I did a little research on the ARB bumper... I found that ARB has one that will mount up to the '05 but, I'm not sure if it will work with the '07?

Any serious advice on this would help me out greatly...

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
4Runner.

I test drove a FJC and while it drove great, I thought the visiblility out of it wasn't so great and the rear doors were a pain to get in and out of. The 4Runner has an available V8 as well. I don't know if the 4Runners have the factory ELocker available anymore though. If the bumper fits on the 05 it should fit on the 07.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with either one...

With that said, I believe the fj to be better adapted to wheeling out of the box.

To me, the fj is sportier, where the 4-runner seems to be more on the luxury side. The v-6 that comes in the fj is more than adequate.

The fj has a lot more tupperware, the tail lights look like magnets for trees, and as Ryan stated, the visibility isn't so hot.

With a 5k price difference between base models... you could spend the amount as you would if you were to get a 4-runner and pimp out the fj. Plus, the aftermarket support for the fj blows what is available for the 4-runner out of the water.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
4Runner.

I test drove a FJC and while it drove great, I thought the visiblility out of it wasn't so great and the rear doors were a pain to get in and out of. The 4Runner has an available V8 as well. I don't know if the 4Runners have the factory ELocker available anymore though. If the bumper fits on the 05 it should fit on the 07.
The V8 in the new runners aren't all that, the V6 about the same amount of power.

Do you need more room? If so get the 4Runner, if not get the Fj.

If it were me I'd go with the Runner cause I don't really care for the FJ, I think it's ugly and I can't believe how the aftermarket has jumped on the band wagon to push out as many parts for it as they can. It's really sad, the FJ isn't even close to what the TRUE Land Cruiser's were. If you better half wants to get into off roading with you, look for a older 4Runner or Land Cruiser (FJ60, 62, or 80) they cost alot less and there just as much aftermarket parts out there for them. With the Fj60/62/80 you get a solid axle. I had a 91 FJ80 that was stock with 31" tires and I could every where that my old Ranger with 33"s and with the front and rear ARB's locked could go. There is alot more room in the old FJ60/62/80.

Don't buy into the gay "RETRO STYLING" bs that Toyota and everyone else trying to market.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would go with the runner any day. The FJ is way overrated. I have the fortunate opportunity to have seen both of ARB's rigs in action. The runner and FJ. Locked front and rear I would take the runner. I hate the views from the FJ. You just cannot see as well out of the FJ. My wife has on 06 solara now but she has looked at both rigs and said our next vehicle will be a runner. She hates the FJ as well. It is more comfortable in the runner and the room helps. I think you can make the 4runner more capable in the long run. The extra wheelbase also helps in my opinion.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Side note I hate the aftermarket for not supporting the tacoma as heavily as the FJ.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, Chaz...You know I'm biased on this one, but since you do already have a serious trail rig....Get the runner...You have kids and the full 4-doors come in handy...I don't think there is one spot where I can look in my FJ and not have some sort of blind spot...I could careless about that, but when you have kids in the car making ruckess and your wifes trying to navigate them to school and etc. the runner is better...Like others said too, it's more luxurious as well...The blind spots are bad sitting at stock height, lifted they got much worse...Gas mileage is better in the runner as well..The after markets for the runner are suffient too...I bet if you got a FJ, you'd end up building it up thru the roof and make that your rig and sell your truck and get her a runner..hahah...

For your viewing pleasure for all the haters....

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The aftermarket for the new 4Runner's is less then for the new Taco's. I'm not a FJ hater, I just wouldn't buy one. I do think they look cool in their on way but they shouldn't be in the Land Cruiser family. Toyota should have made them more like the FJ40.

Will you be selling your Taco?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ok Ok call me a hater but most of the FJ's and the owners I have wheeled with are gunshy of scratching their pretty little rig. There may be a small % that wheel them heavily. Just that every time I have wheeled with an FJ it has gotten bruised.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
FJ! :kewl:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can I play? I'm with Dom on this one. I have owned 4Runner's, Tacoma's and now the FJ. While the visibility in the FJC does suck, but you get used to it. I agree with the statement; "if you don't need the space of a 4Runner, then get the FJ". I wheel my FJC and it does very well, but is slightly harder to see out of them the Tacoma/4Runner. The shorter wheel base is nice on tight trails. There is plenty of power from the V6. I went a step further and installed a geared transfer case and crawler box and it now goes almost anywhere.

While I love my FJC, I would have NO problem buying another 4Runner or Tacoma. No matter what you end up buying you will like it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Mikey05 said:
Ok Ok call me a hater but most of the FJ's and the owners I have wheeled with are gunshy of scratching their pretty little rig. There may be a small % that wheel them heavily. Just that every time I have wheeled with an FJ it has gotten bruised.
I can say that the 2 fj owners here that I have wheeled with will pretty much try anything that the rest of us do. Dom (from the pictures above) followed a group of us all through Ocala and had a blast. The other guy Jeff, was plowing through mudholes and laughing about the scratches out in richloam.

I do know what you are talking about though. I was leading a group down a tight trail one day when one of the guys yelled over the cb for me to stop. A guy in an H3 had his passengers out of the truck trimming the trail with loppers.lol Made for a slow and interesting day. lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't doubt that but we are also talking Florida wheeling. I agree with sbechtold wheeling the piss out of his as wheeling in the mountains is a lot different than running in the sand dunes. I lived in Florida for years and now am returning. I plan to run north more than a few times a year to wheel since it is a little more technical in the mountains on the rocks. I never doubt a driver. At the end of the day they are all Toyota. My opinion is just that the FJ could have been a little more thought out in the long run. I am still just a little tweaked at the aftermarket. With all that said I hope to meet and wheel with you all no matter what you drive.

·
Registered
626 Posts
ben76 said:
I do know what you are talking about though. I was leading a group down a tight trail one day when one of the guys yelled over the cb for me to stop. A guy in an H3 had his passengers out of the truck trimming the trail with loppers.lol Made for a slow and interesting day. lol
Sounds like someone I know. :p

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Neil426 said:
Sounds like someone I know. :p
Hey, that someone came in handy when I was wheeling my Taco! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your opinions, at this time I feel the 4runner will better suit us. There is no way that Chaz will sell his rig unless he wants my foot up his ass. I'm sure that with all the knowledge that Chaz and all of his wheeling buddies have, I'm confident that my vehicle will perform as good as that reg. cab :D

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What the hell, the woman gets her own laptop and joins TTORA! Now I have to watch what I post!!!!
Thank you guys, it's now up to her on the decision... looks like my wallet is about to get VERY light :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.