TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 5 spd yota has had all her little heart can take. I am weighing my options here, lets see if any of you guys have an engine that I can pick up...
Engine must be mechanically sound with less than 100K for me to consider it... If I cannot find one I am happy with, I am just gonna build mine.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Nashvegas Yota said:
My 92 5 spd yota has had all her little heart can take. I am weighing my options here, lets see if any of you guys have an engine that I can pick up...
Engine must be mechanically sound with less than 100K for me to consider it... If I cannot find one I am happy with, I am just gonna build mine.
find something other than another 3.0, LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hytenor said:
find something other than another 3.0, LOL

Why would I wanna do that? This engine has made 335K HARD miles (Over 150K of them were from my best friend who beat this truck like a slave.) and I have put 5K on it since he had it. The engine still runs decent, but smokes hardcore. I had thought about a 22RE or a 3.4, but monetary prohibitions have put the kibach on both of those ideas due to the added cost of an ECM/Harness, accessories, etc.

I bought the truck DIRT cheap with the intentions of rebuilding it next summer... Only prob with the next summer part is that without the truck, my wife and I are down to one other vehicle and I cannot get it tagged in Nashville without an emissions cert.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Nashvegas Yota said:
Why would I wanna do that? This engine has made 335K HARD miles (Over 150K of them were from my best friend who beat this truck like a slave.) and I have put 5K on it since he had it. The engine still runs decent, but smokes hardcore. I had thought about a 22RE or a 3.4, but monetary prohibitions have put the kibach on both of those ideas due to the added cost of an ECM/Harness, accessories, etc.

I bought the truck DIRT cheap with the intentions of rebuilding it next summer... Only prob with the next summer part is that without the truck, my wife and I are down to one other vehicle and I cannot get it tagged in Nashville without an emissions cert.
wow, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone who liked that motor, LOL

do you have a local Junior College with a shop class? they are always looking for motors to rebuild and all you have to supply is the parts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am an ASE cert tech. I am not gonna trust my daily driver to a bunch of high schoolers... Thanks for the suggestion though. No, I am either going to find a salvage type engine for it, or I will build the one that is in the truck.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Nashvegas Yota said:
I am an ASE cert tech. I am not gonna trust my daily driver to a bunch of high schoolers... Thanks for the suggestion though. No, I am either going to find a salvage type engine for it, or I will build the one that is in the truck.
well, heck, if you have the skills/tools just build it yourself, LOL
finding a scrap engine will still cost you parts and time to redo the heads anyway unless your donor motor had the recall work done ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any of you guys heard of ITM engine components or Rock engine components? There are a couple of people on Ebay selling complete rebuild kits in the 250-400 range, but I have personally never heard of the namebrands.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Try the TN board. We just did an engine swap on one of the members pickup a few months ago (Ratherbewheelin here - Anthony on the TN board). He'll have a lot of info.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Man it took my buddy 9 months to just find a motor for a decent price... Good luck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys, I think I am just gonna build my old 3.0 instead of trying to buy one... I cannot justify spending 500-1000 on a 100K motor when I can build mine for about 500. Sure, a drop and swap would be easier, but having the skills to build mine, I would rather know the exact history behind my engine than put a used, questionably maintained engine in her.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yep, my buddy spent a grand on a 4runner with about 120k on and a blown tranny. He jacked the motor and sold the body for 800 so he turned out real nice...

·
Registered
97 Posts
swap in a 3.4, come on everybodies doing it............J/K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts