TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I'm a little new to the whole truck thing, but my friends all have done up trucks. I have a 03 Taco Dcab 4x4 v6 and i wanna lift it to 3" to 4" on 33's. I've been researching alot and this is what i've come up with. If you guys have any suggestions/comments, be my guest. Help me out :)

So far, i'm looking at

Pro-Comp 4" lift kit or Donahoe 3" lift (coilovers) or Fabtech 3.5" lift (coilovers)
Rear's will be done with either a Deaver progressive AAL or a leaf pack and Bilstein 5100's
16x8 MT Classic II's on 33x11.5 Toyo's

NO body lifts here. Am i missing anything else?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I just wanna learn and do my taco right the first time. I will be off-roading it every month or so, mainly Azusa, like mud and small off-road terrain, nothing like rock/wall climbing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep in mind you'll most likely need to re-gear if you want to run 33's, and you will probably still have some rubbing issues even with the lift. That's why most people who aren't building dedicated trail rigs stick to 32's...IMHO. All depends on how much you want to spend I guess.

-chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the regearing issue, i've read and most people have mixed opinions. some say you have to, some say you can get away without it. I might regear to a 4.56. Is that the right regear??

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
chyknees said:
Well the regearing issue, i've read and most people have mixed opinions. some say you have to, some say you can get away without it. I might regear to a 4.56. Is that the right regear??
You can get away with the gears you have on 33's, just dont expect to maintain MPG and performance.

If you dont want a bodylift and your set on running 33x11.5 you may want to
go with the Pro-Comp lift. Donahoes or Fabtech are a nice set-up IMO, but you'll run into a little rubbing problem sooner or later with only 3", the Fabtech gets a little stiff when adjusted to 3.5 and you may not like the ride.

32's with Donahoes would be a perfect balance.

Tim

·
Registered
81 Posts
chyknees said:
Hey guys. I'm a little new to the whole truck thing, but my friends all have done up trucks. I have a 03 Taco Dcab 4x4 v6 and i wanna lift it to 3" to 4" on 33's. I've been researching alot and this is what i've come up with. If you guys have any suggestions/comments, be my guest. Help me out :)

So far, i'm looking at

Pro-Comp 4" lift kit or Donahoe 3" lift (coilovers) or Fabtech 3.5" lift (coilovers)
Rear's will be done with either a Deaver progressive AAL or a leaf pack and Bilstein 5100's
16x8 MT Classic II's on 33x11.5 Toyo's

NO body lifts here. Am i missing anything else?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I just wanna learn and do my taco right the first time. I will be off-roading it every month or so, mainly Azusa, like mud and small off-road terrain, nothing like rock/wall climbing.

Thanks!
I assume you are looking at a 285/75/16 tire which is roughly a 33 x 11.50. I have had 285's on my truck for almost three years. I ran this way for two years on a 3" spacer lift. I just added a 1" Roger Brown body lift for some additional clearance. I have had minor rubbing issues with these combinations and it works fine on the trail. You should be happy with it when you get it done. I have a couple of pics on my web space with this setup: http://webpages.charter.net/cappleton3/.

Good luck.

·
Registered
588 Posts
chyknees,

I run pretty much the exact setup you listed (Fabtech 3.5" performance coilovers, rear AAL, and 33x11.50 on MT Classic II's. Like tbplus10 said, if you crank the coilovers to the full 3.5", it definitly stiffens the ride (not an issue for me, cuz I just don't care). As for rubbing, the only place I rub is the inner bottom of the wheel well (and even then rarely) which can be taken care of easily with the pinch weld mod. And regearing, well, I'd say I noticed a slight loss of power. but I'm out playing in the dirt just about every single weekend, and I have yet run into something that I haven't been able to tackle because of lack of low end torque. Like you, I pretty much just run mild-medium trails and little mudding now and then. If I started getting a little more extreme and was doing more rock crawling, then I'd think about regearing.

Here is a pick with the Fabtech coilovers at about 3.25" and 33x11.50 on MT II's (no center caps).

http://seth.phizz.net/stuff/out_and_about/sheep_bridge_2-05-05/truck_5.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cappleton3 and seth_js - perfect tacos....thas how i want it. thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for sure, i'm researching to make sure i know what i want.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha...ya...that catfish is huge

·
Registered
168 Posts
Same thing i told him when he emailed me the link a couple weeks ago.

HUGE

·
Registered
551 Posts
Id be affraid the thing would eat me before I could reel it in. Was that a once in a life time catch, or is that normal?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thats a Big freakin Catfish! :eek: :eek: :eek:How much did that thing weigh??
33 x 12.50 Thornbirds

1 - 15 of 15 Posts