TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently put on some chrome westin nerf bars. now i'm starting to regret and wish i got stainless ones instead.
not even a week and i'm already starting to see rust building on the very inside edges of the bars. is this even normal? after a week? any suggestions on what i can do to stop the rust?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Mine are chrome and no rust yet after two winters in CT except where I scratched and dented the bottom of one on a rock. I polish off as much as I can every so often to delay the inevitable.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
I would imagine 1 week in Hawaii will be a lot worst on metal than 2 winters in CT due to the higher salt content in the air(mist). Sorry to hear about that and sorry I can't offer any real help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bb609 said:
I thought all Westin chromies are stainless steel too. Are you sure they're rusting?
i looked underneath on the edges right by where the bars meet the brackets i see tiny orange spots right on the edges. should i be concerned? do you guys see the same on yours?

·
sunuva
73 Posts
It's the brackets on the inside of the bars. I cut mine up last year and the ends were all corroded...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
tacosauce said:
i looked underneath on the edges right by where the bars meet the brackets i see tiny orange spots right on the edges. should i be concerned? do you guys see the same on yours?
They are warranteed. I returned mine no problem because of problems with the chrome. Take them back if you're concerned about it.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
DCabTaco said:
I would imagine 1 week in Hawaii will be a lot worst on metal than 2 winters in CT due to the higher salt content in the air(mist). Sorry to hear about that and sorry I can't offer any real help.
Then you would have assumed wrong. Have you ever driven in a northern state where salt is used on the road to help melt the ice and snow? The entire vehicle is covered in salt all winter. Even when it's not snowing, there is salt on the road and melting snow causes a constant spray all winter. My truck gets washed once a week and it only lasts until I drive it again. One commute to work and salt spray all over the side and undercarriage again. I've been to Hawaii and Florida. Cars are emaculate in comparison. So Cal is probably the same. The only salt spray in the air would be if you park right next to the ocean. 1/4 mile in or so and you would be spotless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tufemup said:
Then you would have assumed wrong. Have you ever driven in a northern state where salt is used on the road to help melt the ice and snow? The entire vehicle is covered in salt all winter. Even when it's not snowing, there is salt on the road and melting snow causes a constant spray all winter. My truck gets washed once a week and it only lasts until I drive it again. One commute to work and salt spray all over the side and undercarriage again. I've been to Hawaii and Florida. Cars are emaculate in comparison. So Cal is probably the same. The only salt spray in the air would be if you park right next to the ocean. 1/4 mile in or so and you would be spotless.
I beg to differ...We have a major problem with corrosion here in Hawaii, and not just while parked on the beach. By no means have I done a scientific study on the rate which metal rusts, but it's a fact that our fridge in our house at the 1500' elevation probably 10 miles away from the ocean has little rust spots on it. Try and explain your theory to the rust that was constantly forming on the stainless sink and also the stove that were fortunately replaced recently. No, we don't live in a hut and yes we have windows that are always open to receive the warm salty ocean breeze into our home. We live on tiny little islands in the middle of a huge ocean so I would assume that the salt breeze is difficult to avoid. :)

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
JLtaco said:
I beg to differ...We have a major problem with corrosion here in Hawaii, and not just while parked on the beach. By no means have I done a scientific study on the rate which metal rusts, but it's a fact that our fridge in our house at the 1500' elevation probably 10 miles away from the ocean has little rust spots on it. Try and explain your theory to the rust that was constantly forming on the stainless sink and also the stove that were fortunately replaced recently. No, we don't live in a hut and yes we have windows that are always open to receive the warm salty ocean breeze into our home. We live on tiny little islands in the middle of a huge ocean so I would assume that the salt breeze is difficult to avoid. :)
There is just no comparison between your corroded stainless sink and stove (probably over the course of a decade or so) to the abuse a vehicle is subjected to in a northern winter. Maybe your sink and stove are rusting but salt does not evaporate into mist like water. Ever heard of distillation to purify salinated water. Water spashing up will have salt in it but there is no salt in the air. Salt is a disolved solid in water. Your rust in the house is probably due to some other issue like high humidity and everything constantly being damp from all the water in the air. Salt only speeds up the process of corrosion but water alone will do the trick over time.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
sliders

Lebeau said:
You should of went with some sliders I love mine.

Hey man,
not tryin to be a dick or anything, but not every1 wants or likes sliders. I personally like em', however I have no use for em seeing as how the only rocks we have are on dirt roads. BUt, like I said, not tryin to be an ass, I just knew some1 was gonna say it, lol! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so it turns out the rust was coming from the bracket. sure nuff, the warranty don't cover rusting of the brackets, only the bars (sneaky bastards).
so i took off all the brackets, stripped em down and re-finished em with rust-oleum. came out okay. shot some into the bars too. not sure how much good it will do but at least i feel a little better now.

btw, thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Give 'em a good coat of wax, should delay the rust for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
The winters here in the NE are absolutely brutal. Don't know how it compares to living near the ocean, but I think it'd be hard to find a harsher climate for a vehicle than here.
Rust sucks.
--Scott

·
Registered
130 Posts
after reading this thread last night, i took my Westins off today, in hopes of selling them. below is what i found.

dumped from both:

for sale: Westin nerf bars...cheap! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts