TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at the weather on my computer, right?

And I see this headline: "Is winter driving safer with 4WD?".

Fuck yes it is. I've done it. A 4WD Tacoma on all terrains drives with authority where a regular two wheel drive car gets stuck in the snow.

Being just a little curious about what they are going to say, I click the link.

After reading the dumbed down explanation about how 4WD drives all the tires, I found this little nugget of wisdom:

"All-wheel drive creates a false sense of confidence," Cox said. "It doesn't really matter how many wheels propel your vehicle forward but when it comes to turning and stopping all vehicles are created equal."

Created equal?

Seriously? I don't know what kind of drugs this guy has been doing.

Yes, it's easy to get in over your head because the 4WD goes when the regular car can't, and ice is slippery no matter what.

But to think that a Tacoma is equal to a '74 Pinto when driving on snow is down right ridiculous.

Here's the link if anybody is bored enough to look at it.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/winter_driving_know_the_distin/22123413

What a marroon!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Engine braking is a lot better in a 4wd/awd than it is in a 2wd.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have never driven on ice. In snow yes. Montana winters scared the Hawaii boy.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
That dumb ass should come up here where I live the next time it snows. I'd be laughing my ass off while he was over in the damn ditch trying to get out with his two wheel drive bullshit. LOL
The only thing is regular 4WD is great, you just don't want to have the axles locked if it's slick and icey or you'll be all over the place. That's one of the reasons I prefer slectable lockers.

My wife's AWD Subi was worthless with street tires, it wouldn't move a foot until we got her some snow tires. Lots better now.
Ever since she got the tires it hasn't snowed a single flake so I'm blaming her for the drought out here. We're hot and dry while the rest of the country is freezing it's ass off. 70 in the middle of Jan is just plain nuts. At least there's global warming in CA. I guess it's because most of the dummies out here believe it's true.

Fuck yes it is. I've done it. A 4WD Tacoma on all terrains drives with authority where a regular two wheel drive car gets stuck in the snow.

After reading the dumbed down explanation about how 4WD drives all the tires, I found this little nugget of wisdom:

"All-wheel drive creates a false sense of confidence," Cox said. "It doesn't really matter how many wheels propel your vehicle forward but when it comes to turning and stopping all vehicles are created equal."

Created equal?

Yes, it's easy to get in over your head because the 4WD goes when the regular car can't, and ice is slippery no matter what.

But to think that a Tacoma is equal to a '74 Pinto when driving on snow is down right ridiculous.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/winter_driving_know_the_distin/22123413

What a marroon!

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts

Created equal?

What a marroon!
I never claim to be an expert at much but I will call myself one (but just a wannabee):) when it comes to driving in the snow, ice, freezing rain and uber minus degrees (half the year here). Their have been lots of times in winter that I wouldn't have been able to leave my driveway without a 4wd. Living here I have always had a 4wd as my daily driver (a no brainer). Rwd, fwd are awful compared to an old school 4x4 like the taco in the snow. Anybody who says any different needs to be taken out back, shot and then pissed on by asparagus eaters because they are wasting oxygen.:)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's some pics of my Tacoma in the snow.

Just because I can.

While everybody else was shut down, I was out exploring.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You guys definitely got it worse than us.
That's nuts!
All we got was a shit ton of ice.
Huh we didn't get shit up here, didn't even rain. All the better I suppose I hate working out in the snow.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Here's some pics of my Tacoma in the snow.

Just because I can.

While everybody else was shut down, I was out exploring.

Fawk that's nothing for us northerners I wish that was considered a snow storm here. Yesterday I awoke to a foot of snow on my truck and minus 20C. Its been like that pretty much every morning for the past week (snow ranges from 1 inch to 12 inches nightly, temps minus 15 to minus 40 C). I live on a dead end street and there is a snowbank at least 12 feet hi in front of my house from the plows. I took a short cut to my buddies house yesterday to get his truck running for him. The lake was so frozen I didn't have to drive around it I just drove across it.
BTW FAWK...... YES I AM JEALOUS YOUR SNOW IS JUST A NOVELTY.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Stickshift> automatic in snow.

Love thy clutch and engine braking.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
It's obviously not true in the technical sense of the term that "as far as braking and cornering in snow, all vehicles are created equal".... but it's a generalization put out there for the masses of moronic retard fuckhead idiots out there.

I have lived in the Northeast my entire life, all 36 years of it and trust me.... there are so many retard drivers out there in 4WD/AWD cars, trucks and SUVs who drive as if they are impervious to the road conditions because their vehicle can drive power to all 4 wheels. You would be absolutely amazed at how many life-long natives of this area spin out off the highway on/off-ramps and curvy roads at every single snowstorm up here because of overconfidence in AWD/4WD in braking and cornering.

The author of the article surely didn't mean for it to be interpreted 100% literally. He has the right idea by what he's saying and the message he's trying to get across to most people who read it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The author of the article surely didn't mean for it to be interpreted 100% literally. He has the right idea by what he's saying and the message he's trying to get across to most people who read it.
Well...

In the sense that 2WD steers with the front two tires and 4WD steers with the front two tires, he's right.

But seriously-

Front wheel drive understeers. The driving force takes away traction and the car turns less than what the angle of the front tires would normally produce.

And rear wheel drive oversteers. Because the driving force takes away traction on the rear tires the back always swings wide on turns causing it to turn more than what the angle of the tires would normally produce.

4WD steers far better in slippery conditions because the reduced load on the tires offers more traction, and the even distribution between front and back makes the steering more neutral. While applying throttle in 4WD produces oversteer, and applying brakes produces understeer, a savvy driver can use the throttle and brakes as an aid in steering.

Also, in absolute ice conditions where traction is near zero, four wheel drive and front wheel drive have an advantage in that the limited amount of "Pull" available can be used to make the car turn somewhat.

For these reasons, 4WD is clearly superior to 2wd in regard to steering.

And braking?

The idea is that all four wheels already have braking power, so 4WD doesn't help.

Well...

I guess that's true on face value, but in the real world it just doesn't work like that.

In reality, most (almost all) of the stopping power is in the front end.

For this reason, the brakes on the truck are designed to put serious stopping power on the front tires and far less on the rear. The idea is that on dry pavement the action of stopping pushes the front of the truck down increasing traction and the rear of the truck up reducing traction.

The brakes are designed to work under this assumption.

And that's fine until there's ice on the ground. Then, the powerful front brakes lock the tires and the weaker rear brakes do nothing. At the minimal braking pressures allowed by the limited traction, the rear brakes are not able to offer much help.

The less initiated says "But, But,... ANTILOCK!"

Right. we now have antilock, so the car limits your front brakes, and still does nearly nothing on the rear.

But 4WD is different. The front and rear wheels are tied together. You can't stop the front tires without stopping the rear tires too.

So, now we have the stronger front brakes applying stopping force to all four tires. Because the limited traction doesn't push the rear up and the front down, the braking effort is more equal on all four tires and the 4WD stops better than the 2WD.

With the above facts in mind, I say the guy is full of shit and has never driven a Tacoma in the snow. :D

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
In most low traction situations we activate our lockers right? I have read "not on ice." Why? I have never driven on ice.

·
Registered
372 Posts
In most low traction situations we activate our lockers right? I have read "not on ice." Why? I have never driven on ice.
If you engage the locker both rear wheels are tied together. When spinning out then, both wheels will have to spin therefore trying to swap ends with the front. If unlocked, one wheel can spin and the other can still give lateral stability. You essentially wont fishtail as easily with open diffs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts