TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering any of you that have a new 05 or know the reason behind the spec for Supreme. Is it manditory (like a Acura) or is it a sugestion. I know that in my 99 manual it tells me I will have HP differance, is this the only thing with the 05?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was told by one of the service guys not to run premium in my 4.0. He said it causes it to run rich causing issues with the cat. conv. He has had to replace a bunch of cats. on the 4.0's in the 4Runners for the same reason. It doesn't bother me, saves a few buck per tank, and with 8600 miles on the truck so far, that's alot of bucks.

Marc M

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I am planning to get my 05 this fall. I just didn't want to get into something like my father in laws Acura, where they demand premium. I love my Tacoma to much, I would buy it anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marc M said:
I was told by one of the service guys not to run premium in my 4.0. He said it causes it to run rich causing issues with the cat. conv. He has had to replace a bunch of cats. on the 4.0's in the 4Runners for the same reason.

Marc M
Silly service monkey doesn't know what he is talking about.

Many Toyota engines have knock sensors that will detect pinging and retard the timing untill it is not pinging anymore.

Running premium allows the engine to run more advanced timing for better power.

Timing has nothing to do with the fuel ratio.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Marc M said:
I was told by one of the service guys not to run premium in my 4.0. He said it causes it to run rich causing issues with the cat. conv. He has had to replace a bunch of cats. on the 4.0's in the 4Runners for the same reason. It doesn't bother me, saves a few buck per tank, and with 8600 miles on the truck so far, that's alot of bucks.

Marc M
I have found my mileage was better running the better gas. I have tried 87 twice and I felt that it was worth the extra pennies to put the recomended fuel in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manytoys said:
Silly service monkey doesn't know what he is talking about..
I didn'y really want to comment on what that tech said, My father-laws Acura, he DOES NOT run Premium. AND he does go through cats, at 180k, he has had a couple. The Acura tech said not burnin the premium causes it. FOr what it is worth. Burning premium, if the truck is with in specs will always burn cleaener.IHMO

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just run an octane booster or try lucas oil. Not worth the extra dollars in my opinion I don't see much change. It does show a good option for cleaning the injectors.

·
Registered
465 Posts
jayotto4 said:
I have found my mileage was better running the better gas. I have tried 87 twice and I felt that it was worth the extra pennies to put the recomended fuel in.

I have a v8 4runner, and i found that if i run 87, i get about 2-3 miles per gallon less. I figure the recommend it for a reason.

·
Registered
503 Posts
obex26 said:
Just run an octane booster or try lucas oil. Not worth the extra dollars in my opinion I don't see much change. It does show a good option for cleaning the injectors.
Octane bosters are worthless. If you look at the side of the canister it ususally tells you that it will only rase the overall octane of the gas a fraction of a percent. Usually less than half a point when added to 10 gallons of gas.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
185 Posts
trd2001 said:
I have a v8 4runner, and i found that if i run 87, i get about 2-3 miles per gallon less. I figure the recommend it for a reason.
It's really almost a wash. 2-3 mpg is costing the same when you add the cost of the premium fuel. Of course if it actually has more power with premium by all means use it. My 05 with a 2.7 is supposed to use 87, and I get 22-23 mpg on regular. I would have loved to have had a V-6 but 20 mpg on premium adds up to a ton of cash when you drive 25-30k a year like I do.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BMWTACO said:
It's really almost a wash. 2-3 mpg is costing the same when you add the cost of the premium fuel. Of course if it actually has more power with premium by all means use it. My 05 with a 2.7 is supposed to use 87, and I get 22-23 mpg on regular. I would have loved to have had a V-6 but 20 mpg on premium adds up to a ton of cash when you drive 25-30k a year like I do.

I do have the V6 and still drive 30,000 miles a year. Funny thing though about the 87 octane VS the 93 octane. When I was running the 93, The exhaust was throwing nasty black soot all over the lower rear bedside at the exhaust tip of course. I have since switched to 87 and no more soot....

Marc M

·
Registered
98 Posts
i believe premium gas, only burns efficiently in a high compression engine.... i've searched and cannot find the compression ratio spec. does anyone know the ratio?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.