TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonder how people like the new style tacoma with the 2.7 liter in a 5 spd manual, was just wondering if the power is decent. i have an 04 and was thinking about upgrading. Any in put would be great. I did search but thought this would be easier.Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 06' 2.7 5spd manual and think it has good power for a 4cyl. My last truck was an 04' v6 5spd manual and I think it was pretty comparable until I put 16in wheels and 31x10.5's on it. This caused a decent power drop, which I'm looking to fix when the s/c comes out hopefully, but I'm satisfied with its performance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It boils down to what you would call decent. It's not going to be anything like the new V6, but it's definetely great for everything I do. Driving up to Tahoe to go snowboarding, driving Pismo beach, constant stop-go city traffic.

I'd definitely suggest test driving it first on the freeway, and seeing how you like it if you were to try to pass a car in front of you. That's the only part I've ever felt it really let me down. Depending on the way you drive, you may or may lot like it after that.

·
Registered
600 Posts
9 cup holders, almost-needs to be re-geared if you put bigger tires on it. I went with it because I could throw the saved money into a better suspension. When stock the thing is great, just the bigger tires slow you down on hills over 7% in grade.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 2.7 is a good motor and works great for what I use my truck for but its a little underpowered for the new tacoma. If your looking for good power and are going to be towing a lot I would go for the 4.0 V6. :2cents:

·
Registered
517 Posts
my good friend has a 2.7 5spd 4x4 that i have driven alot of times, compared to my 4.0 v6 its a pretty nice difference, the 2.7 is very sluggish entering and passing cars on the freeway compared to the v6, it does get you around town good but if you want that extra power when passing cars on the freeway, towing, or in offroad situations you might regret getting the 2.7 over a 4.0

·
Registered
51 Posts
No complaints with mine, except for passing on highway is iffy in fifth gear. Just makes you more aware on long trips i guess. Driving around town is great though, plenty of oomph from stop lights and stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It reminds me of my old VW Bug. Everyone passes me going uphill, then I pass them on the downhill. Heck, with the Flowmaster 40 it even sounds like the old glass pack muffled bug.

C

·
0 Posts
I think the 2.7 vvti is a great motor. I have had no trouble with the motor at all. I have not re-geared, and am running 255/87/16 tires (33" tires) it is a dog on the highway. I have over 58,000 miles on the motor.

Offroad the truck has more than enough torque. In first gear, 4Lo the truck will move at idle with my foot off the gas.

Would I buy the 5 speed 2.7 again? If the regular cab 4x4 was available with the 4.0 that is the way I would have gone, but it is not.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I love mine, enough go to keep me satisified and huals everything that lands in the bed. I hual a 600+ pound honda ATV and I cant tell its there when driving. Test drive one its not for everyone but for slow driving reasonable people its a great combo. O the 5speed is fun to drive too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive had no problems with mine whatsoever. I have an 06 2.7l and its got plenty of power. I do a good bit of offroading with it and have added 265/75/16's to it with not alot to complain about. As everyone here has said it is sluggish on the highway but I dont do a whole lots of highway driving so I think its a great truck. I would def go with the 4.0 if they would put it in the reg cab. Cant understand why they dont do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts