TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 3rd yota. It is an 22re 85 4runner. Previous trucks were a stock 94 xcab and a 02 xcab taco. March will be two years in castle rock colorado. looking to hopefully meet up on some trail runs with some other toyotas.

Rundown of new to me 4runner
~3inch lift with ranchro shocks and allcan springs
33x10.5 nitto terra grapplers (about half or less tread)
4.88s
detroit locker in the rear
8500lb super winch on the front

took it out to yankee hill and loch lomond trails and it did great. One problem was the front tires would start to rub the back of the fenders when they were going up. Any ideas on the best way to fix? I was thinking moving the front axle forward some how.

have one pic from the trail so far.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/chongomasters/yota/IMG_0600_zps1f8fdade.jpg

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
Nice looking rig. You could move the axle forward but it would be alot of work. You may just want to trim the fenders or beat them with a hammer. I like those first gen 4runners. Any more mods planned? Armor is always a good addition.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Sweet rig! Looks like you have a few choices.

Move the axle forward and this can involve a lot.

Trim the fenders and pound the pinch weld.

Limit the travel

Trimming will be easier cause moving the axle involves welding cutting and a handful of new parts. What's your long term goal with the runner? What's its primary use?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long term goal is to make a good hunting camping exploring rig that is a somewhat capable crawler and a daily driver. Planning on adding sliders, new rims and tires, body/paint job. Move the detroit to the front and add an arb or some kind of e-locker to the rear. Short term i need to do a knuckle rebuild with new seals and add a spare tire. Improvements will come as the income can afford it.

As far as the rub issue. I don't want to limit travel and i like the stock look of the 4runner. I read some where that moving the rear springs of a stock 4runner to the front gives lift and moves the front axle forward a bit. would this be an easy way of resolving my problem? If not it sounds like trimming the fenders will be the way to go.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
You can do a RUF swap but you will need an ifs steerin box and relocation mount. You will get a crossover/high steer setup. I think it's only a few inches of lift tho. I can't blame ya on not wanting to limit it or cut it up. My fenders got cut up to clear and now I'm going back to stock fenders and moving the axle forward a little more.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nice 4Runner, welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts