TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2004 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4-door 3.4 V. 45,000 miles

It has a factory rebuilt engine with a warranty.

I was able to pick it up at a excellent price from a dealer who replaced the motor from the “sludge” problems.
New short block, heads were send outside the dealer for fix up, and many new internal parts. The truck is in mint condition for its age. No tow package, which means it never pulled anything. No leaks or any external probelms noticeable. Tranny and 4x4 system seems to be in great shape.

My questions all relate to the engine.
Is a dealer replaced short block good or bad in general?
Should I do anything to not repeat the sludge issue?
Should I do anything extra since the short block is brand new? (break in?)
Do the valves need to be looked at after a short time?
Any other issue I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.
Rob

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I am running a short block due to the dealer fucking up the engine. So far it has been fine and it has about 60K on it. Never did anything to it after the install.
Change your oil and filter, I go 5K miles. I think synth oil is less sludge prone but the important bit is to change it regularly and watch your driving habits. Many short trips contribute to sludge build up as does constant stop and go driving without ever letting it stretch it's legs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything seems to be 100% I plan to take it into a non-dealer Toyota guru shop here shortly to see if there is anything that was missed. I do plan to change the oil in 1000 miles after the break in. Glad to here that your engine has lasted that amount of time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts