TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is looking at rear axles. He's debating between a 9'' and a T100/Tundra Axle. He's looking for the specific strengths or weakness' of the two. Or why he should choose a 9'' rather than a Toyota axle. The truck will have 400+ hp. Can our 8'' axles handle this?

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
400+ power?

Go 9" with 35 splines.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I was a little curious as to why he was debating. I believe the tundra axle is only 30 spline and an 8'' ring gear. Are there any weak points in the tundra axle that wont allow for that hp?

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i see only problems when you have 400hp and are debating what axel to go with..good luck.

·
Registered
741 Posts
would a tundra axle be ok for a while if i had no glass in the back?

Austin

·
Registered
230 Posts
i've read that the 6.5" glassworks bedsides barely cover a tundra axle, so you'll definetley need glasss

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
bigairrider01 said:
i've read that the 6.5" glassworks bedsides barely cover a tundra axle, so you'll definetley need glasss
With 12.5" tires yea but if you run 10.5" you'd only need 4.5" rear glass with a Tundy out back. I would say yes though in your case since you run 11.5" I'm pretty sure, that would fit nicely!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KRYPTO(dale) said:
i see only problems when you have 400hp and are debating what axel to go with..good luck.
I don't appreciate your unconstructive post.

If you have something worthy of reading this feel free to post it. Otherwise... dont.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
Factor said:
I don't appreciate your unconstructive post.

If you have something worthy of reading this feel free to post it. Otherwise... dont.
not worthy? whatever sir king of internet

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Factor said:
Yea I was a little curious as to why he was debating.
^^^In response to people's suggestions about using a 9''.

Now I'm aware that a 9'' is a no brainer. I'm just looking for technical reasons regarding strength that actually make 9'' better so I can tell my friend. Hardly anyone has answered the real question here. Instead go ahead and flame and tell me a 9'' is better. lol.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
More splines (35) and a bigger ring gear can handle more abuse and power. And less likely to grenade itself taking the hard hits. Tacoma axles are built super strong for our trucks but I'm assuming he's linked and our axles will fold up or blow up under that kind of abuse. Also Giant makes some sicky truss kits which make them damn near bulletproof...

SICKY

GNAR

GNAR

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tweeter said:
More splines (35) and a bigger ring gear can handle more abuse and power. And less likely to grenade itself taking the hard hits. Tacoma axles are built super strong for our trucks but I'm assuming he's linked and our axles will fold up or blow up under that kind of abuse. Also Giant makes some sicky truss kits which make them damn near bulletproof...

SICKY

GNAR

GNAR
Mega Gnar bra.... I <3 you tweeter. =p

See you in april.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Factor said:
Mega Gnar bra.... I <3 you tweeter. =p

See you in april.
Mhmm, more splines just mean he's less likely to break an axle and more are needed as the power/tire size combo increase. What truck is this for anyways?

I <3 you too ;)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
whats that mean?

I <3 you too ;)[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
741 Posts
hahaha... umm

<3 = a heart....

they are coming out and telling us something...

Austin

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha oh yesss..

uhh its for a custom truck. Ranger Cab, chevy engine(i think), gunna be linked, 9'' hopefully lol, dude is building it at his house.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts