TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laying in bed last night thinking about the new backup lights I just hooked up on my Tacoma. They are 35w 4" tractor lights in the rubber housing and they work great! What about hooking them to my flashers so that they would come on with the flashers if I wanted them to ? Right now I just have them switched to come on when I want. Maybe I could hook them up to come on with the flashers but only if I turned on the flashers and the switch. If I don't want them to come on with the flashers then I don't turn on the switch. Any other time I want to use them I just turn on the switch as normal.
We use flashers allot around here when following a loaded 16 wheeler up a mountain, when were broke down or a wreck up ahead and so on. Maybe the backup lights would be to bright to use with the flashers? Mike

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do you want them to flash with the hazzards and steady on with the switch?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CNADNtacoma said:
Do you want them to flash with the hazzards and steady on with the switch?
Yes, if that can be done without gitting to complicated. I'm not that great when it comes to electronics, :) Mike

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
you can do it, just need some diodes so the signals dont cross each otehr and blow stuff up....

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can do it with a on-off-on swich and a relay. The common terminal of the swich goes to the relay trigger. One of the on terminal goes to a 12v source to operate the lights normally. The other on terminal is tapped into the flasher wire, so the lights flash. If you have the relay in your setup already, you don't need another one.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CNADNtacoma said:
You can do it with a on-off-on swich and a relay. The common terminal of the swich goes to the relay trigger. One of the on terminal goes to a 12v source to operate the lights normally. The other on terminal is tapped into the flasher wire, so the lights flash. If you have the relay in your setup already, you don't need another one.
OK, But will that let me run my lights by just flipping on the switch so I can use them without the flasher being on?

·
Registered
338 Posts
In a word, yes. The first "ON" = the 12v source turns on the lights normally. The second "ON" = the hazzards will cycle the lights on and off with the flashers. "OFF" = the lights are off. Just make sure the hazzards go to the trigger on the relay and not to the lights directly.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CNADNtacoma said:
In a word, yes. The first "ON" = the 12v source turns on the lights normally. The second "ON" = the hazzards will cycle the lights on and off with the flashers. "OFF" = the lights are off. Just make sure the hazzards go to the trigger on the relay and not to the lights directly.

Thanks! Thats just what I was hopeing for. Now if it warms up enough to work on it I'll give that a try. I'll pick up the relay in the morning. Going down to 18 here tonight, Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
338 Posts
DISCLAIMER: If you blow something up, Its not my fault!!!
Use at your own risk!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mike-in-WV said:
Thanks! Thats just what I was hopeing for. Now if it warms up enough to work on it I'll give that a try. I'll pick up the relay in the morning. Going down to 18 here tonight, Thanks again, Mike

You dont have a relay in the lights? I guess you are going from the battery to the swich to the lights at the moment?

·
Registered
338 Posts

you also should have the 12v to the switch fused. I forgot to put it in. Or tap off after the fuse in the drawing to protect both

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts