TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new block heater on my 2006 4.0. ($81.00 and painless)

It was not like the one I installed for my 2001 2.7 ($27.00 + Antifreeze and messy)

If you haven't heard Toyota went to a cartridge type heater element that replaces the frost plug type element. The new style is a cylinder that you cover in dielectric silicone (included) then slide it into a port on the very back left hand side of the block.

I pooped a little turd :eek: when I heard the price of the element, but considering you don't have to pull a frost plug or worry about it ever leaking I went for it. :rolleyes:

The process is pretty simple really. Just pull the driver side tire, remove the rear splash gaurd and proceed to burn your hand on the exhaust pipe looking for the port. Once you find the port and clean it out then you slide the cartridge element in with the clip at 9' o'clock. It just snaps in then you just route your cord along the rocker cover then under the battery and out the front.

It is a genuine Toyota Part #C0140-00889. Its 400W and has a very high quality wire loom with zip ties. The box said CANADA

The opening to the port is just above the driver's side manifold pipe by the starter on the back of the block. The element slides towards the front of the truck.

The splash gaurd comes of the plastic grommets like button fly levies, pull in the direction of the arrow not up or down.

Even if you run Mobil 1 syn like me, this is a good upgrade for the cold because cold metal wears much more than warm metal.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Culver

·
Registered
395 Posts
instead of burning your arm on the exhaust, you could wait for it to cool before installing the heater? :)

i might have to look into picking one up, just to make those cold mornings a little more painless. any pictures?

-Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
i wonder how well it works compared to heating the colant directly. [owner of several diesels. 2000 jetta 82 toyota and had a couple f250 powerstrokes]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering about that also. I think it should be the same because the heat produced has to go somewhere. (its the same wattage) I do know that the 06 heats up faster than my 01 but its an aluminum blocked v6 so I don't think the block heater gets all the credit.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I dont get it a block heater heats the coolant cause its sumersed in it does this make the block hot? It must get really hot.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Block is made to accept this heater. It's a jacketed hole, kinda like making love, without me going any futher there. The heater element heats the metal of the cavity in the block, which in turns heats the coolant. Some say it's not as efficient as a frost plug block heater that actually sits in the antifreeze, and some say it takes longer to heat the coolant because of this design. But who the hell cares. It's Toyota's design, and if I am going to use it, I will plug it in while the block is hot (after getting to my destination) and this should be fine in keeping it warm.

No draining anything to install, just lube it up and stick it in the hole. Refer to the making love part above. :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
the istall is great i was wondering never saw one like it. I got one on my 4 runner but its the freeze plug style.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Angus1 said:
the istall is great i was wondering never saw one like it. I got one on my 4 runner but its the freeze plug style.
It sure is a hell of alot less messy doing the install. I had not seen one either before this. The box is labled Canada, and I think they come standard on the vehicle's in Canada. At least some parts. I could be wrong on that part though.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Would the block heater warm up in all conditions aka super hot weather or does it have a sensor that will only turn it on in cold weather. My question is because I live in Las Vegas now with 115 degree summers going to Rhode Island soon with very cold winters to Texas to very hot summers again. Would this be a mod I keep on in winter and take off in summer? Im in the military and travel a lot. Thanks Matt

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
06LVTACO said:
Would the block heater warm up in all conditions aka super hot weather or does it have a sensor that will only turn it on in cold weather.
You are the sensor my friend. Plug it into 120v when the temps get low. Typically, people route the block heater cord to an easy access point on the front of the vehicle. Timers work well so that you are not paying for 400 watts all night. 3-4 hours is probably enough for most nights. If its going to be as cold as hillary clinton then you should plug it in while the engine is already hot and leave it in all night.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
007 said:
You are the sensor my friend. Plug it into 120v when the temps get low. Typically, people route the block heater cord to an easy access point on the front of the vehicle. Timers work well so that you are not paying for 400 watts all night. 3-4 hours is probably enough for most nights. If its going to be as cold as hillary clinton then you should plug it in while the engine is already hot and leave it in all night.
Thanks for the info. Being from Texas I dont know a whole lot about cold weather problems. Ive got my chains and all terrains ready for next winter in Rhode Island.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts