TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need new brake rotors for the front of my 2000 Tacoma 4x4 (without ABS if that makes a difference). where can i get brake rotors for a good deal? also are slotted rotors worth buying? are they that much better? and are there any side effects of slotted rotors?

thanks...dalton

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
bigd9247 said:
ok i need new brake rotors for the front of my 2000 Tacoma 4x4 (without ABS if that makes a difference). where can i get brake rotors for a good deal? also are slotted rotors worth buying? are they that much better? and are there any side effects of slotted rotors?

thanks...dalton
I am running Rotors and pads from Irotors.com Mine are slotted and crossdrilled, with the recommended matching pads. its amazing how well my truck stops. i had big problems with my brakes before and i stepped up to these and its awesome.. You will only need the slotted if anything, run the pads that the company recommends, not cheep autozone specials or anything.. There is a huge difference between good pads and cheap pads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had NWOR crossdrilled rotors on my 89 4Runner and they were sweet. The were a little overpriced (like I said NWOR) but they stopped great and hardly warped at all between pad changes. They are worth it. If you want em cheap get to be good friends with someone that works at carquest, napa, etc. etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the only thing the slots do is allow the hot gasses to excape that get trapped between the rotor and pad under high speed braking, as for low speed stopping power, a slotted rotor actually has less surface area and wont stop as fast. The reason those slotted rotors work so well is the materials they use in the rotor and the real high quality pads. Good pads and good non-slotted rotors will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
BLT2RCKTRD2 said:
the only thing the slots do is allow the hot gasses to excape that get trapped between the rotor and pad under high speed braking, as for low speed stopping power, a slotted rotor actually has less surface area and wont stop as fast. The reason those slotted rotors work so well is the materials they use in the rotor and the real high quality pads. Good pads and good non-slotted rotors will work just fine.
uhhh NO...

first off a slotted rotor should not be slotted all the way to the end, this will create a weak spot, teh slotted portions are to give the pad a fresh surface (cleaning the pad) as its swips over the rotor, the cross drilling is what lets gas escape. and it does make a huge difference. and now exactly how di dyou come up with a slotted rotor having less stopping surface? last time i checked my slotted/cross drilled rotors were just as big as stock rotors.. and worked better...

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
DesertTRD said:
uhhh NO...

first off a slotted rotor should not be slotted all the way to the end, this will create a weak spot, teh slotted portions are to give the pad a fresh surface (cleaning the pad) as its swips over the rotor, the cross drilling is what lets gas escape. and it does make a huge difference. and now exactly how di dyou come up with a slotted rotor having less stopping surface? last time i checked my slotted/cross drilled rotors were just as big as stock rotors.. and worked better...
He is talking about surface area.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone know if the slotted and drilled rotors from jcwhitney.com are any good? they are like $64.95 each. is that a good price?

thanks again...dalton

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
ptrautne said:
He is talking about surface area.
what is there not to understand, they stop better... Hell I bet they could be smaller diameter and work better than stock steel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts