TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, This is Expedition One and we have officially finished our first run of Later model tacoma bumpers for the 2005-2011 model Tacoma's. We wanted to post up some pictures and introduce ourselves, and give you an idea of some of our plans and promotional offers we're working on. Attached are some pictures of what we call the Kodiak bar set up. you can also get the bumper with out hoops or with just a center hoop. The center hoop version would look similar to what we offer on the FJ and the Tundra... We're also working on a rear bumper right now. It will be available shortly I'll post up some pictures of it soon... We're always open for design feedback and ready to answer any questions so let us know if there's anything your wondering about or what you like or dislike....

We're offing a special discount right now (hopefully for around 5 or 6 people) of 30% off... What we're asking in return is for pictures and installation feedback as well as photo's, of the installation and some beauty shots. So far we've installed about 3 of these bumpers and its gone well, but with past experience we've learned that vehicles can vary, as well as people (no disrespect), so we wanted to make sure we've got a good product that is user friendly and works and installs how it should.... If anyone may have interest in doing so let me know and we'll get you pricing and what ever else you may need. We'll probably give the same offer for the rear bumper also....

Thanks everyone, and I'll hopefully be posting up pictures of our prototype rear shortly...

James

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice bumper, I like the design of the bigger loops around the grill and headlights. Also your bumper flows better through the surface contours with the rounded edges..good job!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Attached are some images of the Tacoma Rear prototype. It mounts to the OEM receiver hitch...

the hub sitting on the right does elude to the future duel swing out carrier that will be an option to purchase. It will be similar to the one we made for our tundra, however the lock system will not be electronic. If you haven't seen it I'll try and find a picture of it....

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
do you guys make the bed rack?

·
Registered
27 Posts

Not bad looking, How are you guys addressing the weak factory bumper mount tabs? Are you incorporating a strap that attaches to the frame? Its a common issue with 2nd gen's and recovery using a winch.

How about weight?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Not bad looking, How are you guys addressing the weak factory bumper mount tabs? Are you incorporating a strap that attaches to the frame? Its a common issue with 2nd gen's and recovery using a winch.

How about weight?

We currently have a reinforcement piece that mounts inside the frame. Attached is a picture.... We may add another if needed, but its pretty much across the board for toyota when it comes to week frame mounts on the front. FJ, Tundra... The 2nd Gen Tacoma's seam to be the worst. Because of it right now we recommend a max winch size of 10K lbs

Weight of a base model front bumper with no hoops is about 125 lbs. With center and side loops weight would be about 150 lbs....

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
We currently have a reinforcement piece that mounts inside the frame. Attached is a picture.... We may add another if needed, but its pretty much across the board for toyota when it comes to week frame mounts on the front. FJ, Tundra... The 2nd Gen Tacoma's seam to be the worst. Because of it right now we recommend a max winch size of 10K lbs

Weight of a base model front bumper with no hoops is about 125 lbs. With center and side loops weight would be about 150 lbs....
that bracket you guys have plus a strap like this that goes back to the boxed section and gets through bolted with a 6" washer would be the best on the market....

On another note I showed some friends your rear bumper. The main constructive feedback was the use of PIA's in the bumper (they suck) and the need to relocate the trailer harness so it doesn't get ripped off.

I have a similar strap on my bumper less the gussets and some people are still bending them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that bracket you guys have plus a strap like this that goes back to the boxed section and gets through bolted with a 6" washer would be the best on the market....

On another note I showed some friends your rear bumper. The main constructive feedback was the use of PIA's in the bumper (they suck) and the need to relocate the trailer harness so it doesn't get ripped off.

I have a similar strap on my bumper less the gussets and some people are still bending them.
Does that mean tacoma people aren't fans of PIAA's or is it more they don't like the option of a 4" round reverse light mounted in that way?

You don't have to use PIAA's... We Actually offer Hella optilux lights as an option (mostly because they are inexpensive and get the job done) but you can use most 4" round lights...

We've been discussing the trailer plug. We are going to see if we have room to fit it up by the license plate and hopefully still have room for all the other options i.e. rear winch mount...

Does that reinforcement go along the outside or under the frame?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Any pics of it installed? I am confused as to how that mounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So then the bumper will bolt to the bracket and not the stock mount?
It actually mounts to both. The stock location does more to locate the bumper were as the reinforcement bracket gives the strength for recovery....

The bumper has 3 key structural components. 1 is the reinforcement piece's, Next is the internal structure of the bumper, and finally, the skin w/ integrated winch mount and recovery points. There's also a filler plate at the bottom of the bumper but its more to protect the radiator and for finish...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does that mean tacoma people aren't fans of PIAA's or is it more they don't like the option of a 4" round reverse light mounted in that way?

You don't have to use PIAA's... We Actually offer Hella optilux lights as an option (mostly because they are inexpensive and get the job done) but you can use most 4" round lights...

We've been discussing the trailer plug. We are going to see if we have room to fit it up by the license plate and hopefully still have room for all the other options i.e. rear winch mount...

Does that reinforcement go along the outside or under the frame?

I'm just not a fan of PIA. IMO they are overpriced, under engineered POS lights. The lenses crack in winter time if they even touch cold water. They leak like a screen thus always blowing out bulbs. I don't know any of my local buddys that hasn't had issues with them. I did a review of them on another forum here http://toyotaoff-road.com/threads/946-Offroad-Lighting?p=92273&viewfull=1#post92273 (post # 79) I took pics of their issues.

Here is a teaser

For the rear I'm actually running cheapo 4" round tractor trailer LED's. They are sealed, cheap, provide plenty of light, and less power draw so they can be spliced into the existing reverse lights without issue.

The strap goes along the outside - this strap doesn't have the gussets like the other one I showed - by a different company. The other side of the frame has a 3/16" thick 6" diameter washer sandwiching the boxed section of frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just not a fan of PIA. IMO they are overpriced, under engineered POS lights. The lenses crack in winter time if they even touch cold water. They leak like a screen thus always blowing out bulbs. I don't know any of my local buddys that hasn't had issues with them. I did a review of them on another forum here http://toyotaoff-road.com/threads/946-Offroad-Lighting?p=92273&viewfull=1#post92273 (post # 79) I took pics of their issues.

Here is a teaser

For the rear I'm actually running cheapo 4" round tractor trailer LED's. They are sealed, cheap, provide plenty of light, and less power draw so they can be spliced into the existing reverse lights without issue.

The strap goes along the outside - this strap doesn't have the gussets like the other one I showed - by a different company. The other side of the frame has a 3/16" thick 6" diameter washer sandwiching the boxed section of frame.
Thats kind of how I thought it mounted. Thanks for sharing.... Definitely a good way of doing it considering the way the frame is...

·
Registered
15 Posts
nice bumper. one question do the ends of the hoop go inside the bumper or only welded on the the ends? great design when they do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It just welds on the ends, but for this bumper there's really no necessity of it going inside. The shape of the bumper, in addition to the thickness of the material, and the diameter of the tubing, make it plenty strong when it comes to things like animal strikes and such...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
17 Participants
Maxamillion2345
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing