TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did Toyota go with the cartridge type oil filter ? It seems that it makes things over complicated . I haven't been on here in a while since I sold my older Tacoma so I am not very up to date with the newer things that has happened. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a cartridge type on my daily driver. Not that much more effort to change.
I'm just trying to find out why Toyota went with this type instead of staying with the conventional style. I got 387,000 miles on my older Toyota with the conventional type so they seem to work well. I just like keeping things simple and not complicating them.

·
Registered
2020 Tacoma TRD PRO
5 Posts
What did Toyota go with the cartridge type oil filter ? It seems that it makes things over complicated . I haven't been on here in a while since I sold my older Tacoma so I am not very up to date with the newer things that has happened. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.
I figure it has something to do with cost and less material (steel) going into the trash. They started the change over quite a long time ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to look-up what you meant by canister oil filters. ...I'm poor and only have older Toyota's with the conventional screw-on type oil filters 😊. When looking it up, I came across a company called Baxter Performance that makes an adapter to change back to the screw-on type oil filters, so it is possible to convert back to the screw-on oil filter type if you want. Sounds like the main benefit (other than being less messy to change), is that there is no oil back-flow preventer built into the newer canister type housing (or so the video that I saw said so), so if you convert back to the screw-on oil filter type via the product from Baxter Performance, you can then use conventional type screw-on oil filters that do have a back-flow preventer.

It's not cheap, but here's the link: Toyota TS-501-BK Cartridge to Spin-on Adapter (Universal) - Baxter Performance

The canister type oil filters remind me of a miniature version of what my mom's old 1982 Mercedes 300D used, except Mercedes was kind enough to mount it upward and accessible from above the engine bay, so you could pull it out from above and catch all the draining oil in a large coffee can or bucket... rather drip down al over your wrist and hope most of it ends up in your drain pan. 😳

Anyway, just thought I'd share what I found online. Cheers!!!
-Steve G-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts