TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I put on a body lift... bigger tires and you'd think that any clunks would be from all that stuff... But it's not... Nor is it the Heims of the CO's... Or the ball joints either... (There's no movement if I rock the wheel)... Nothing to do with the R&P or T-Rod ends... Oh and the BL was on for about a week before this started... And didn't make any noises after the install test drive...

I rechecked the torque on the BL bolts... Put the 32" tires back on... and the noise still persists....

Here's what it's doing...

When I accelerate briskly (2wd) and let off the throttle abruptly... it makes a clunk... somewhere near the passenger firewall/ floor board (Best I can tell)... It does not do this under hard braking or even if pumping the brakes so as to make the front bounce (load and unload).... Or even with suspension travel... It does not clunk on the acceleration (unloading front) only on the de-acceleration (loading)...

Could it be a motor mount ?... But visually it looks fine to me (from what I can see :dunno: )... (can these go bad with 128K on the truck ?)... I haven't been offroading or stressing anything as of lately... So it I'm sure it's not anything I did... It just started acting up yesterday... Damn... I've look and looked and can't find what the hell the issue is...

Anyone know if I'm missing something here ?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
hahaha oh damn! I got the same clunk! I posted about it like a month ago, no answers that pin pointed the prob. Hope we can find out what it is! Mine also has the 1 or 2 lil clunks turning left from a stop.. :confused:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been a month and you haven't deciphered it yet ?
Ha Ha... now that is funny... :lmao:

Mine will be at the dealership Monday morning... if I can't get to the bottom of this... I got some wheelin' to do and this is to loud to ignore... I swear it acts like a bad motor mount... But I visually can't see a problem... Now on my DD POS it's front drive... so it pulls hard left under throttle to remind me that I need to get those mounts fixed... But I figured that one out and parts are on the way... But this issue with the truck... I just don't see it... :dunno:

I doubt I can be as patient as you... In waiting for an answer :p

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
After installing my BL and bigger tires... I have not heard any noises.. Hmm.. It could be a motor mount...?? How are your CV's doing?? any weird wear or slight movement in the front axle?

Side Note* after all this done with.. would you still wanna head out for a day run some place... I need to break my ish in... Lemme know!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Erik... I'll take this thing down to the dealership on Monday... So hopefully things will be in order quickly... I'm not sure that I'd want to wheel this as is... But it will get corrected one way or the other... asap...
I'm still in hopes for Tuesday... ;)
But will let you know how Monday goes... :rolleyes:

CV's look good as well...

Everything looks good... that's the problem... It's just the hearing part that sucks... LOL

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
UCA... LCA... Ummm... Iono.. Im running outta things... Break Calipers (sp?)... Umm.. ya.. I dunt know...

Ya.. Lemme know how yer rig fairs out!! Hopefully you'll figure it out before you take it to the StealerShip!!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell I spent all last night and this morning checking it out and pulling shiat apart... I'm just going to just help those dealership folks afford more Christmas gifts for their children... It's that time of the season for giving... LOL

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interex said:
Checked for any play in your diveline? Specifically your center support bearing.
Uh... how does the noise of the double cardon...
transmitt to the front of the truck...

The DC is just fine ;)... But thanks for playing along

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I'm not talking about the DC. The center support bearings are notorious for wearing. With enough play, the DS could be shifting within the be bearing when torque is applied. This sudden shift may be causing your clunk. It may be far fetched but you posted here looking for possible ideas.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Also, an idea to test your motor mount theory would be to take off your skid plate and try jacking up the motor from the oil pan. Keep an eye on your mounts. If you see the motor lift and your mounts stay, you know you've got a bad motor mount.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interex said:
I'm not talking about the DC. The center support bearings are notorious for wearing. With enough play, the DS could be shifting within the be bearing when torque is applied. This sudden shift may be causing your clunk. It may be far fetched but you posted here looking for possible ideas.
I get you... But the play there is minimal... So I don't think there's a relation... But do appreciate yer input... I was just funnin' on the last reply...

Interex said:
Also, an idea to test your motor mount theory would be to take off your skid plate and try jacking up the motor from the oil pan. Keep an eye on your mounts. If you see the motor lift and your mounts stay, you know you've got a bad motor mount.
Now this is more useful... I was trying to figure out how to do a load test by myself with a manual trans... and you've pointed out a simple test that slipped my mind... I'll do this tomorrow and search a little more... Deadline is Monday... no solutions... Then it's off to the dealership... Already have my DD diassembled for repairs and waiting for parts... If the dealership can find the issue... That might make it easier on me... And if it's not insanity... Just might let them fix 'er up...

Thanks

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... checked the engine mounts today and they seem to be tight... I've look for cracks in the frame... And scoured just about every inch of the front of this truck... Had a mind to pull the body lift... even though I doubt that has anything to do with it... Frustrating as hell...

Got to be in the control arms... Or the ball joints even tho' they don't seem sloppy... I guess it's time to give up... Pay the Piper... :(

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome to the club Dell... :)

I've had a clunk noise coming from :confused: Who knows, when I thought I've found it I didn't.. I don't know if is worth it to take it to the dealer they are going to pin point things like the body lift, suspension lift, etc, etc.. Before they take it for an inspection just so that you know it could be almost anything...
This I know because they did it to me once, so so I don't take it to the dealer anymore..!

Sorry no much help,

FS..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just my .02- could the shifter be hitting the floor pan because the extension was improperly placed? It might be worth your while to check that as the clearance is decreased when the lift is installed.
Take care
Dan

·
Registered
969 Posts
Bringing back a thread from the archives...

Alright.... Looks like I have the same problem.

My truck... 04 D-cab, Donahoes in the front, Chevy's in the rear, stock upper and lower arms, ARB bumper.

Everything feels tight. All my bushings look good..
Had my alignment done 3 weeks ago, drive shaft has been greased. I feel the clunk in the driver side floor. I could swear it's coming from the sway bar, but the bushings and end links look good... hmmmm.

I feel the clunk at low speeds pulling into driveways and small bumps in the road and sometimes when I reverse out of a parking space.
When I flex the suspension the clunk disappears. Most of the time I cant replicate the clunk when I want to. :rolleyes:

What was the end result for you guys? I've searched, but can't seem to find a solid answer for my type of setup.

Any help would be appreciated, this mystery clunk is really annoying and loud. I want to take care of the issue ASAP before wheeling season really takes off.

Thanks in advance. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Bringing back a thread from the archives...

Alright.... Looks like I have the same problem.

My truck... 04 D-cab, Donahoes in the front, Chevy's in the rear, stock upper and lower arms, ARB bumper.

Everything feels tight. All my bushings look good..
Had my alignment done 3 weeks ago, drive shaft has been greased. I feel the clunk in the driver side floor. I could swear it's coming from the sway bar, but the bushings and end links look good... hmmmm.

I feel the clunk at low speeds pulling into driveways and small bumps in the road and sometimes when I reverse out of a parking space.
When I flex the suspension the clunk disappears. Most of the time I cant replicate the clunk when I want to. :rolleyes:

What was the end result for you guys? I've searched, but can't seem to find a solid answer for my type of setup.

Any help would be appreciated, this mystery clunk is really annoying and loud. I want to take care of the issue ASAP before wheeling season really takes off.

Thanks in advance. :D
Double check all of your U-joints put it in neutral and jiggle your drive shaft. IF its not a U-joint disco your sway bar and drive around with it off if that doesnt fix it you got me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Look for something called a 808 DVR on ebay, it's a keychain video camera.
Costs about $20, you can stick it under the truck and look at suspect parts and record video and sound. See if anything is moving around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts