TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys ever experience clutch chatter with a new clutch?

All parts are (Marlin) new, fly wheel resurfaced by a reputable machine shop. All parts clean, dry and properly tourqed. Grease on the appropriate friction points per the FSM....and NOT on the disk, pp or fw etc....

Everything works perfectly, shifts perfect. But, at low rpm 1st gear gives the most chatter.

Reading the national board, looks like there are different possibilities. Maybe it's just a wear in process????

Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called Marlin, not much they could tell me except to tear it apart and inspect everything.... Should be smooth outta the box.

Guess I'll drive it a while and see if there is any improvement. If not, rip it apart again and start QC'ing parts, starting with the flywheel... oh well.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump...

Any opinions? Witch doctor cures? Special wear in rituals?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, fixed it.
R&R'd the clutch, pressure plate and re-machined the flywheel...again.
No more chatter!!! Smooth a silk.

Took the parts to the local machine shop and they could'nt tell me "why" the pressure plate was the problem, only that it was; 99% of time. There was no contamination and it was assembled correctly (whew! I was sweating my work, just to be honest!).

The only noticible difference was the surface finish from one pressure plate to the other. The "old new one" was much more course than the "new, new one". The new plate finish was more consistant with the re-machined flywheel finish, which makes sense to me and confirms the dislike I had for the rougher finish p-plate at the beginning. Should'a gone with my gut and compared the new p-plate to another new plate.

Okay, so let's wheeeee.... wait. Gotta get tires now... uhg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts