TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Diode Dynamics SS3 with backlight. Instructions say the backlight is spliced into the marker or parking lights.

I may be wrong but the marker lights are also the turn signals on my 2012 Taco. Would the backlight flash with the blinker?

Anyone install these? Where did you tap into? I don't see specifics on install videos.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,731 Posts
Marker and parking lights are both on the same constant circuit. The turn signals are separate. So using that for power source should be fine. I assume you also will have them switched in the cab?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My turn signals are also marker lights (inner most orange lens). The out more to the side of the truck has an orange lens with no bulb or wiring. It looks like a metal cap and a plug would go there, but there is no wiring from the trucks harness.

I see 3 sets of wire looms. 1. headlight. 2 turn signal. 3 parking light. Not counting the fog light loom that goes downward.

Diode Dynamics said if the backlight is tapped into the turn signal it will flash but won't hurt the fog light unit.

ShowStop, why would I want the fogs or the backlights switched in the cab?

Another question I just thought of. Will the LED fog light tapped into the turn signal cause hyperflash like when LED bulbs are swapped in for standard?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,731 Posts
I forgot the front markers are also turn signals. Best to tap into dedicated parking lights or headlights. Headlights would be better unless you think you need fogs when headlights are off.

Are the backlights clear for backing or used as a dust light? That would determine what you tap that info.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The backlights are actually on the front fog. Not reverse lights. They are (I guess) to be cool looking, I see no real function. Maybe I should have ordered the fog lights without them.

I agree with your suggestion to where to wire them in. Fogs always on with low beams off with high like the factory set up.

Also, that wiring plan would eliminate the possibility of "hyperflash."

I need a to get my multimeter out to determine the hot wire. The main fog plug was not intuitive. Black wire wasn't hot. I had to flip the plug.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still thinking about which wire I'd like to tap into.

Marker/Blinker=flashing backlight on the fog when I turn.

Parking light=backlight only on when those lights are activated. I always run with my fogs on with low beams...never parking only.

Hazard lights are connected to the turn/blinker. Which might be helpful for extra lighting in a safety situation(?)

Headlights...I don't think so. They would offer the least amount of extra light usage because it I never turn the fogs off unless automatic with the highbeams on.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,731 Posts
I think the blinking would be undesirable unless you were going for emergency type lighting, but its up to you. At least the current draw is low enough it shouldn't matter what circuit you connect into.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I think I'll tap into the parking lights. Easy, and more control as to when i want the backlights on.

When I get them installed I'll post a pic. I always forget how...

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed today. I'm happy. No issues except for rust and dirt in my eyes.

They are very bright. Nighttime pictures didn't work. It was just one big glare. I'll try tomorrow in the day.

Thank you for your responses ShowStop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts