TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing about ttora from a guy I met on coney/stvrain, who I think might be a ttora member, I decided to join. I wanted a Tacoma since I was like 12 but after graduating high school in 2008, my parents bought me a new corolla...

So July of 2009 I traded it for a stock 2006 TRD-O/R access cab Tacoma, and within the first 3-14 days had it out on yankee hill-kingstonpeak-caribou-Argentinepass. My goal is to get armor all the way around, some real tires, suspension upgrade, winch, front locker and keep it till the day I die.
As of today all I got on this thing is an AFE intake, new pinstripes from my T-33Planecrash trip and the OE locker/foglights.

Hope to see some of you soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Looks like a clean truck, welcome!

I'd absolutely start with sliders first! Your rockers are the most vulnerable/expensive portion of sheet metal on your truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Would you have any idea what sliders you guys trust? I found a thread somewhere where you guys seem to like AllPro, Shrockworks and one that starts with a "D"

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Demello. And yeah I like the all-pro sliders but that is all I like of theirs. Also look at Trail Gear if $$ is an issue.

Welcome BTW!

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I wouldn't recommended trail gear for anything personally. I've got ORS sliders (unfortunately, ORS is no longer in business) and love them.

When looking at sliders, .188 -.25 wall is IDEAL ; many will argue, but 1/4" is NEVER too thick when you look at it in retrospect. You're buying steel to protect your truck, the thicker it is, the better job it will do.

You may even be able to talk someone into helping you build your own set of sliders, it's fairly cheap to get steel to do so.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Nate has a point ^ ^ ^ But getting someone to build them? No way would troy and I do that. It's already enough work to weld them on for fols, let a lone build them! But when you do get them, Troy and I can help you weld them on!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome thanks for the advice! Yea thats right Demello!

I definitly agree with the bigger is better concept for sliders. One thing about All Pro that scares me is their little disclaimer for X-cabs;
"*X-cab models require modification to bed mount and/or rear flip plate"
Im not even sure where my bed mount would be and how i feel about modifying it.

My neighbor has a 90 pickup that he personally made and welded sliders for his truck and Ive been thinking about asking him for help/advice...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Hey go for it. Research and get advice. Since Troy welds a lot of sliders we have learned a lot of things.
1) Many don't fit right at 1st. (Even though the manufacturer says they will)
2) You MUST plate the frame (and the slider kits never come with plating) - See the "where to find steel thread" under our Links you should use in General discussions
3) When plating the frame you need to prep the frame and the plates and sliders for welding (Bare metal, no rust or paint)

What else gang?

Oh and if $$ isn't an issue look at Armorology in Colo Springs and Slee Off Road (All in that link thread)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha yea I totally agree with pre manufactured kits. I didnt even think about plating the frame afterwords. Thank you in advance! I like the armorology design. I think ive seen some of the trucks that have been in their shop. But there are alot of nice looking toyotas out there! Might give them a call tomorrow

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Well first off you plate in advance..... and weld to the plating (I think). Also contact user Dot (send him a pm) he got the 1st set of Armorology sliders and they didn't fit right. (He has the same taco as you) Jed at Armorology is going to install them for him now for the cost of the extra materials, but talk to Dot (Jason) before you go with Armorology!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I wouldn't recommended trail gear for anything personally.
Have you had a poor experience with them? I haven't had any experience with their trail armor, but I have given them over a grand in business, between about 10 different transactions. There was only 1 time they shipped me the wrong part, but told me to keep it (sell it if I wanted), and they shipped out the correct part immediately, free of charge. They also have lifetime warranties on several parts. So I would tend to say that I recommend them.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Oh, I'd say a lot of us would be willing & interested in building a set of sliders. At least, I know I would, or will? as soon as my truck is back on the road. Hell, in general, you'll all see more of me, and not just because I'm wearing a kilt :flipoff4:.

x2 everything Molly said about kits not fitting right the first time. Like anything fabricated, they're close, and the difference between close and perfect is usually several hours with a grinder. The setup Ben has, maybe from CBI? is great, but took some time to sort out...including getting the brackets cleaned up. I could barely keep an arc lit on the brackets before they were stripped...they looked clean, but the rough surface was full of mill scale.

You have a new Tacoma...frame is similar to my Tundra. Far easier, I think, to simply use a piece of 6" x ??" x 1/4" strap down the rail, bolted strategically with backing plates, holes to clear rivets, and then just weld the slider to the strap. Should've done it on my truck, but we used individual plates instead of a complete strap...by the time all was said & done, there was little difference...maybe 12" long piece, total...between the plates and a strap.

-Sean

·
Registered
772 Posts
Have you had a poor experience with them? I haven't had any experience with their trail armor, but I have given them over a grand in business, between about 10 different transactions. There was only 1 time they shipped me the wrong part, but told me to keep it (sell it if I wanted), and they shipped out the correct part immediately, free of charge. They also have lifetime warranties on several parts. So I would tend to say that I recommend them.
most people bash for quality/made in china etc.

i have their sliders on my 05. i like em for the $$$. though, i haven't hit em too hard. just scrapes and no shock-loading em yet.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
ToyCrawlers makes a slider simular to what ORS used to make. Check out www.toycrawlers.com. We can build custom sliders for you or install whichever ones you decide on if you need help in that area.
:kewl:

I would also recomend these guys (Jacob) as well. They are in Broomfield!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts