TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up all, i have been looking at these forums for about 6 mo now trying to decide on the truck 4 me, and u guys have helped a LOT! last summer was my first in breck and my buddy has a chevy s-10 2wd 4 cylinder( if u can even call that a truck) and we took it on some of the more mild trails out here. i was actually impressed at how far it could go. So that made me want a 4x4 bad. im from iowa so all im used to in offroading is mud mud mud. i could post a pic of my 1990 chev lumina if u want but i think i will wait till i get my taco. any input you would have as to which engine i should choose would be a lot of help. right now im leaning toward the 4 because of the reliability, less problems, and the longevity of the motor itself. i know how well the previous owner took care of it is a big factor, but that aside, in my opinion it seems that the 4 would make more sense financailly, as far as maint, etc. what do you think?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Another CO member! woot woot

You're already on the right path by getting a toyota to start with, that gets rid of 99/100th's of the problems you would have with another truck :D

Whether you choose the 4 or 6cyl, you're going to get a reliable truck no matter what. Being from Iowa, I would suggest the 3.4L 6cyl for you since you're in the mountains. It's decent on gas and has a lot more power than the 4. You'll appreciate the power up the hills especially if you decide you want bigger tires. I assume you're talking a true tacoma here (as in 1995.5-present) rather than a '95 and older pickup. If you were looking at a pickup, I would def. say go with the 4cyl, it's bombproof whereas the 3.0L V6 has 4cyl power and V8 gas mileage (trust me on this one, I have it ;) )

Either way, welcome!! :welder:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input , man. the only real reason that i am leaning for the 4 is, ive seen multiple 4 toyos go at least 300,000, and the truck i will get will prabably have at leats 100,000 already, i just want it to last with minimal repairs. i just dont know much about the 6. and i know how to work on a 4 already so why learn new shit>

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Welcome! Be sure to introduce yourself on the CO forum.

Go with the 3.4L V6 - you're at high altitude in Breck, and you'll really be kicking yourself for going wth the 4cyl every time you go over a pass...

·
Registered
7 Posts
i would go with the 6, no questions. i'm from like an hour away from Breck in this small ass town called Evergreen,CO. and there's hella mountains out there. no doubt about the six though. the 4 would struggle so bad on the hills. so unless gas is a huge concern for you, i would stay away form the four and pick up the six. once you get the money supercharge it, that will help so much, especially with somehting like a K&N or AEM intake on it.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
When I run the passes to Denver and back, I get about 20mpg with the V6 and N/A will climb up to the tunnel at about 75mph.....just for a reference...

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I run the passes to Denver and back, I get about 20mpg with the V6 and N/A will climb up to the tunnel at about 75mph.....just for a reference...
thats not bad, if i get a taco, i will prob want the 3.4. but i got a 90 runner 22re, fer real cheap and i dont have to care about it as much as i would a new pretty taco. some day ill have 1(taco), but till then and prob after then too, ill beat the shit out of this peice:D

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If you live in the hills, tow, want bigger tires, or carry heavy loads I would also suggest the 3.4...But if not, the 2.7 is a great choice, and will most likely last a little longer than a V6, although some 6's last just as long.
Welcome to TTORA!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Oh and FYI, the 2.7 taco is nothing like the 22re in the sense that it has much more power.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome!! You're in the best place for off roading!! And not that far from Moab either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts