TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you guys from other boards. I've been a toyota guy for years, I have been on TTORA before, I actually always thought it was Toyota Tacoma ORA, and I never had a taco. It wasn't until recently when I was researching to do a 3.4 swap that I realized that it's an open Toyota board. Anyways, just wanted to say hello to all. Hope to see some of you guys around and on the trail!

Here's my latest rig: 1990 4runner. 1 tons, coilovers, linked. 40's. Only about 8' of frame left to keep her a toyota. Also doing a 3.4 swap here over the next month or so, so I wanted to drop in, as I'm sure I may have a few questions.

·
7,735 Posts
Nice rig. And yeah, they switched it from tacaoma territory to toyota territory a few years back.

A 3.4 swap in for a 3.0 should be cake. I'm in the midst of my swap/build (into an 85 xtra cab) and QuickDraw is swapping into an 80 right now. Minerdude and just finished his, EKJ have one as well. There's a few on here that have done quite a few.

You might also want to check out yotatech as they have some very well documented 3.0-3.4 swaps: http://www.yotatech.com/f160/

What year donor are you working with?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm working with a 96 T100 motor. Should be straight forward, I've read a lot of the swaps on yotatech. Few things with the exhaust are going to be a PITA, but I'll make it work. Going to have Brian (thefatkid) make a harness for me when I get to that point.

The motor is the exact same length (forward to back) of the 3.0 correct? Only reason I ask is that my rad mount has a super tight clearance in front of my current 3.0 motor, barely clears the elect fan that I have on there, would hate to redo a bunch of my tube work up there to clear the radiator from the motor.

·
7,735 Posts
The motor is the exact same length (forward to back) of the 3.0 correct? Only reason I ask is that my rad mount has a super tight clearance in front of my current 3.0 motor, barely clears the elect fan that I have on there, would hate to redo a bunch of my tube work up there to clear the radiator from the motor.
I'm not sure on the length measurement... I used custom mounts/placement, etc... my motor placement followed no rules and is pretty tight all the way around.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
That is going to be a tough one C. The fan brackets are very close to the same lenght. It will take placing the engine. The block measurments are the same though.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
sick rig!

welcome

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. The rig was a ton of work, but I was very happy with it this passed season of wheeling. Motor sounded like a diesel the last couple trips and finally gave way when I was out in GJ to wheel. Picked up this motor for a great deal a month or so ago thanks to Scotty (Addicted) who found it for me.

Dan,
That pic is the exact opposite angle of the pic I posted at the exit at indy! That's funny. Hope all is well.

Brian,
Yeah, the fan bracket is off on my 3.0, and I don't need it on the 3.4, but it's the upper pulley that is really close on my 3.0, hope it'll work with the 3.4 in there. We'll find out shortly, it just changes a lot of stuff (winch mount/front tube work) if I have to redo it. We'll see.

Any input on a good place to buy a rebuild kit or just a gasket kit for a 5vz? I'm to the point where I need to decide if I'm just going to pull the heads off for a "look" or put it all back together, need to price out my options. I should probably just do a rebuild since it's on a stand.

Great local forum here, can't wait to meet some of you guys.

Aaron, you've got an e-mail.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I would use the Toyota gasket set. As for rebuild kits, local machine shops can get you a good selection of internal parts. Somtimes I perfer to use toyota rings also, even if using aftermarket pistions.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Welcome, killer rig! I'm about forty five minutes east of Castle Rock, nice to see another southerner on here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts