TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys? Im a long time lurker who finally decided to join. Im pretty sure ive seen a few of you guys out on the road before but you probably didnt give me even a look haha. Ive got a 95.5 3.4l Taco non-TRD. My rig isnt much, aal in the rear and 2.0 fabtech C/Os in the front. Im here lookin for some yota guys to wheel with (all of my friends are jeepers). Hopefully by the sumemr Ill be geared, locked and armored enough to go out and actually do some tough trails

·
Registered
252 Posts
Welcome, we gotta bunch of runs planned, look forward to seeing yiu on the trail

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome, hope to see ya on trail this summer

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Welcome from Colo Springs, any mods planned after gears? Lockers same time as gears? Armor?

>>Dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I had an old 87 pickup that I ran into the ground but now with this truck I know I want to start off on the right foot. I want to make this truck into a pretty decent trail rig but its my dd too. Im pretty much set on my plans for this truck but I wont ignore any solid advice you guys give me.

So heres my plan:

Lift: Toytec ultimate. I know a couple guys running this and i know how much everyone here loves rebuildable coilovers but for the price (especially on my budget) Im taking a shining towards the Toytec c/os. What do you guys think; will I be satisfied for now, until after college when I have a real job, or am I just wasting my money?

Lockers: Im going to swap a TRD rear axle in. I made the mistake of getting a non-TRD taco because I liked the lower price. Now it looks like I'll be paying more for what I should have gotten in the first place. As far as the front goes, idk. Might have to put that on hold.

Gears: 4.88 or 5.29? I plan on cutting, tubbing and hammering where necessary so I can run 35's. I've read multiple build ups on this and helped my friend do it on his rig. And no I'm not doing it for looks or because I feel more manly with bigger tires. I like having the extra breathing room under my diffs. I ran 35's on my old truck so I know how much maintenance it takes. My question to you guys is what ratio is best for mainly street driving with 35's?

Armor: I have a few buddies that have welders and pipe benders and that are willing to help me build sliders and skids for a case of beer.

IDK though ive got a skinny wallet and I dont see that changing anytime soon so its going to be a while before all of this is done.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Welcome!

I have a TRD Taco that I was going to turn into a trail rig, but decided to get an older truck and mod it.

Anyway, my Taco has Toytec Adj C/O's and I've been pretty happy with them.

And far as gear ratio for your diffs, like everything else its a matter of opinion and preferences. But I have always heard that if you want 33s you go with 4:88s and if you want 35s go with 5:29s.

As far as lockers, yes you could go with the TRD elocker, but you might want to think about an air locker, just more food for thought. :2cents:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice Yanman. The rear diff is another area Im a bit uncertain about too. For the price of the 8" diff with the elocker and axle vs the price of the air locker plus compressor I dont know what to choose from. On my budget though its tough to aim for the best and most durable products when a lower price appeals to me me as well. I guess I have some time to decide on what I really want cause its going to be a while haha

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Welcome! I was in kawaii a few months ago and saw more Toyotas then I thought possible.

Hope to see you on the trail.... Maybe takeover?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I went to Maui a couple years ago. I couldnt believe how many yotas I saw down there. Pretty much nothin but mall crawlers but yotas nontheless.

and idk if my rig will be ready in time for takeover but Im planning on doing everything I can to make it

·
7,735 Posts
Sounds like a decent plan. The toytec c/o's will be fine, I'd go with 5.29's with 35's and our hills. As for the rear axle, you really can't go wrong either way (between the TRD/e-locker or non-trd 8.4/arb). I'd probably go with the ARB setup.

ARB's have their issues with seals and setup, but so does the elocker with the motor that dies. I'd only edge towards the 8.4/arb because it's a stronger third.

oh.. and welcome

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Doug, I haven't hear much about the elocker motors crappin out. Mine got weird once. I pulled it apart and cleaned the com. And it's been fine for 3 years. Nates I think was messed up from day one cause I have cleaned it twice but his gets a crazy amount of use compared to most. I'm sticking to the e lockers for the front and rear. They are simple cheap and effective. Lots of people would go the other way tho.

·
7,735 Posts
I agree. But if you do some searches, there are many that have had the motor crap out (usually after submerging it in water, banging it on the rocks, etc). Personally I'm going with an 8.4 in the rear and a TRD/LP elocker in the front. I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong specifically, just that if you search, you hear about problems with both.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
If you're on a budget gears are expensive. Go 5.29s and do it once. Gearing twice (once at 4.88 then again at 5.29) just doesn't make sense. I ran 255 85 16s with a 5spd 3.4 and 5.29s and I loved it. I now run 305 70 16s on a daily basis and have no issues. I sit a little higher in the rpm range on the highway but there's no need for shifting all over to pass people, and I can pull 75/80 in 5th up the hills in 5th/4th.

If you're buying a used elocker rear watch who you buy from. Mine was garbage from the get go and I had nothing but problems over and over with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Got a great deal on some 33x12.50r15s BFG KM2s yesterday though. I needed something a litttle meatier to tide me over until this summer. With that being said, it will be at least a couple months before I have enough saved up for anything. Plus, I have butloads of research to do. I needed something a litttle meatier to tide me over until this summer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome to ttora. I know the feeling of having a skinny wallet, it's not fun when you want to make your rig "trail worthy". LOL. Look forward to seeing you on the trails.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts