TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, just wanted tp pop in and introduce myself. My name is James Clegg, I am an American (lived in South Carolina my whole life till now) living in Kaiserlautern, Germany with my Wife. She is a Civillain, working as a Civil Engineer for the Army Corps of Engineers, and I am finishing my college degree that was started almost ten years ago. I have found some really cool places to wheel around here, like the ALPS. yeah they are pretty cool, Switzerland, France and Austria are just a few hours away and have some spectacular scenery along with very cool and sometimes challenging trails. I have a 1998 extended cab 4X4 Tacoma, its pretty stock at this point, just installed a new set of 31x10.50 15 Cooper Discoverer STT's, it has a camper shell, and a K&N air intake system. I have become obssesed with "BajaTaco's" truck and am doing everything in my power to duplicate most of it. I am not sure of the guys name (he may be on here?) but the address is www.bajataco.com. I just finished building my rear camper/storage area, similar to his since my wife and I like to take weekend trips into the mountains. Like most people on here, I have huge plans for it, if I do half of the stuff I want to do to it, I will be happy. Anyway, here is a photo of the truck about 6 months ago, without the STT's and camper shell on the back.

~James

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Welcome James to TTORA!
Guess what I'm an American too! WOW!
Kidding aside, glad to have you join us.
Hope you get a chance to post some pics of your ALPs runs.
When does your tour end, so you can get back to the states?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
a few pics

Thanks for the welcome guys

Tejas, yeah... If I dont put that im an American, people automatically assume im German. While I am a big hairy dude, i am definately not German (not that theres anything wrong wth that)....lol We will be here until Oct. 2010, then we will be moving to the Portland area. I here there is pretty good wheeling in that area also...

Here are just a few pics from a trip that my visiting cousin and I took this weekend to the Austrian Alps for some skiing, not much wheeling gong on, but it was beautiful none the less.

Me with the taco on a pretty cool forestry trail with my co-pilot at the foot of the alps.

flexing a little (keyword little)

Just a random view from the side of the road on the way to Stubaier Glacier where we were skiing...

another random side of the road pic, yep thats my ugly mug.

cool picture from the ski lift on the way to the top of the glacier (only about

11,000 feet high)

This was probably not the correct place to post these pics, but ill get the forum figured out eventually. More pics to come soon!

~James

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Awesome pics! Thanks for posting 'em. There's another guy on here that's in Italy right now. He's in the military. He posted about getting stuck over there one time. That'd be cool if y'all formed a Euro TTORA Chapter and started posting pics of y'all's wheeling exploits. But hey, keep the pics coming, wheeling or no wheeling. Always cool checking out different parts of the world.

·
9,051 Posts
Great photos!
One of my old co-workers' wife is being transfered to Germany, that huge base there with the hospital, sorry I forgot the name...he told me that the military will only transfer ONE vehical. So they sold one of their cars and transfering the other.

Anyways, love the photos! Especially of the mountain views and forest.
If you want to post other photos of random events, you can do it on the "OFF TOPIC" thread section.

·
Registered
72 Posts
your coming to the peortland area!? cool! I'll show you around....great wheelin here

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
cool truck mtxe, I want a snorkel for mine also, not sure why, but it looks cool. I will never be in water deep enough to warant it, and it freekin rains here every day, so dust is not a problem... but it sure looks good. Thanks for the links, I cruise around there some more. Ive been all over the Bajataco website, cool stuff for sure.

Tejasyota, the hospital is Landstuhl, its the palce where all of our injured go before headin back to the states, or wherever they may be going. Lot of sad stuff to see at that place, a reality check for sure...

Landstuhl, Ramstein (the large air base), Vogelweh, Kapaun, Kleber are all US military bases that are all in the Kaiserslautern county. its about a 30 mile radius, over 100,000 americans in this one spot, largest concentration of Americans outside of the US. Anyway, as you stated, the Military only allows the shipment of one POV (privately owned vehicle) over here on their dime. We shipped my Wifes VW Passat wagon over, and I bought a Porsche when we got here. The Porsche was fun, but im a truck kind of guy at heart, I sold it and I bought the Tacoma from my Neighbor, he and his wife are Captains in the Air Force. We also have a 1996 XJ Cherokee in the states, that will be my project when we move to Portland. Either the XJ or the Taco will be my trail truck and the other will be my daily driver, havent decided which will be what yet though.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

~James

PS, you can click HERE to check out my blog, got some cool pictures of my Porsche, my old Topfuel Dragbike and my other hobbies (mostly R/C)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mtxe, yes the first time I had a street legal quad blow past me on the highway was a little weird, but its very cool. I have seen every dirtbike imaginable, quads, go carts... all street legal. its crazy...

~James

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi James, and welcome. That is really cool that you found my site and enjoy it. Those are some great pics you posted - looks like you are having an incredible time in the Alps. Keep us posted on your truck and trips!

Chris Marzonie

·
9,051 Posts
stumptaco said:
...Tejasyota, the hospital is Landstuhl, its the palce where all of our injured go before headin back to the states, or wherever they may be going. Lot of sad stuff to see at that place, a reality check for sure...
James: That sounds about right. My friend's wife is a Captn and is a Burn Expert Surgeon. She just returned from her tour in Iraq a couple months ago. Checked out your blog, sweet RC Boat. She looks sickly FAST! Just like that R/C Jet.
Nice 944, very capable car. I guess with all the vechicals you have, which ones are you bringing back?

Take care!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Chris, yes, I have really enjoyed your website, its given me a ton of ideas. Very nice trail/expedition rig and my wife and I really enjoyed all of your adventures, Great pics! It even got my wife a little excited about the trips I have planned in my head for the upcoming spring. (its a lot easier to buy stuff for your truck when your wife is more into it!) If you dont mind, can you send me a PM with your email addy? I have about 6000 questions for you... :)

Tejasyota, I sold the porsche shortly after getting the Yota. I could not justify having a vehicle just sitting in the garage, not getting used. Plus it was sucking up all of my workshop room! Right now all we have is my truck and her VW. We plan on dumping the VW before we move and my Wife has wanted a BMW X5 SUV for a while and we will probably order that from here with US spec of course and have it shippied over to the US right before we move. BMW's and Mercedes are like honda Civics over here... they are everywhere and a dime a dozen...

Unless, I roll my Taco off the side of the alpine trails, or compelety destroy it, it will be going back to the states with us also, although we will have to pay to have it shipped because the military will only ship one on their dime. I will either turn the yota into a dedicated trail rig (SAS maybe?) or the XJ that is currently over there and I will drive the other for everyday use. havent decided yet.

~James

PS, Not sure how many Drag racers are out here, but THIS is what I used to spend every dime on. it was on the second page of the blog, not sure if you saw it... thanks for the compliments on the RC stuff!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts