TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha guys, Name is Kyle, originally from Hawaii and i am going to school at Cal Maritime in Vallejo. Just got an 86 4runner, and am looking forward to getting on some trails! Any recommendations on trails fairly close to the bay area, that are on the mild end (newb to wheeling) and have some good camp spots??

Mahalo!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pic...

Forgot to post a pic. I am a big outdoors guy (rock climbing, mountain biking, backpacking, snowboarding, you name it i probly do it) so heres the runner on its maiden voyage, over to China Camp for some mountain biking.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Welcome again. You have hollister hills svra about 2 hours south of you and prairie city about 1.5 hrs north of you. Neither are actual trails though just 4wd parks but they are good spots for shakedown runs because they're close and can be as easy as you want. Check out the past events folder for prairie city and hollister pictures. It's about 3+ hrs to any real wheeling from the bay area unfortunately.

If you click the sticky at the top of the "Trail Runs/Events" folder you can see the schedule of the events for the year. November is open and I'll probably post up a feeler to see if anyone wants to wheel next month so keep an eye out for that.

NorCal Calendar of Events:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195429

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome again. You have hollister hills svra about 2 hours south of you and prairie city about 1.5 hrs north of you. Neither are actual trails though just 4wd parks but they are good spots for shakedown runs because they're close and can be as easy as you want. Check out the past events folder for prairie city and hollister pictures. It's about 3+ hrs to any real wheeling from the bay area unfortunately.

If you click the sticky at the top of the "Trail Runs/Events" folder you can see the schedule of the events for the year. November is open and I'll probably post up a feeler to see if anyone wants to wheel next month so keep an eye out for that.

NorCal Calendar of Events:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195429
Awesome thanks!! Where would I go to get info on trails in like the tahoe area? Like i guess fire road ish that i can take to a camping spot? Anyone know anything like that??

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hopefully one of the other guys will post up. Fj_fowdie knows of alot of trails in that area, I'm not a NorCal native. I would look into Gold Lake, there should be a couple trips with pics in the past event folder but I think it's relatively mild and scenic with great camping. I've been wanting to check out gold lake and snake lake for a while. Also check out bowman, eagle lakes, and signal peak, not sure how easy of trails you are looking for though they are all more than fire roads.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Awesome thanks!! Where would I go to get info on trails in like the tahoe area? Like i guess fire road ish that i can take to a camping spot? Anyone know anything like that??
get some local Forest Service maps for dirt roads...or...if you have a Garmin gps get the 24k western states CD.

some FS online maps as well as printed ones that can be ordered
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml
Eldorado, Lk Tahoe, Plumas, Lassen, Stanislaus are in this general area.

Tahoe area tends to be pretty crowded

·
Registered
375 Posts

This is a pretty interesting book if you are new to the area and wheeling too. I picked it up a few years ago and it has some good information for a noob. Most of all the big name trails you hear about are on here along with photos and recommendations for gear, camping, etc...

http://www.4x4books.com/gtcan.htm

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey man, nice to have you onboard.

I'm a 2010 CMA grad myself, living up on the hill above campus, but shipped out with SeaBulk at the moment. We'll have to catch up when I get back in a few weeks. Like mentioned above, Prairie City is good fun, but mostly you have to head for Tahoe area to find real trails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man, nice to have you onboard.

I'm a 2010 CMA grad myself, living up on the hill above campus, but shipped out with SeaBulk at the moment. We'll have to catch up when I get back in a few weeks. Like mentioned above, Prairie City is good fun, but mostly you have to head for Tahoe area to find real trails.
Awesome Brah!!!! Sorry it took me so long to see this. I will PM you my number, hit me up when you get back! Safe trip bro.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Cal Maritime huh? My dad went to Kings Point.

Hawaiian.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts