TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the original text of this post.
hawkonthewing said:
Ok, folks - now it's set. "The Holy Cross City and more" trip is set for July 21-22. If you want to see all of the history on this go to http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63368 for the first discussion. Then we went to http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64752 and ended up changing the date to July 21-22. We started this thread so that the correct date would be in the thread title.

Here are the basics: I (along with Jade & Prodigy) will establish a base camp in Camp Hale (Camp Hale is on Hwy 24 between Minturn and Leadville) friday July 20. We will post the details and probably put up signs so everybody can find it.

The current plan is to take off Sat morning and go to the top of Resolution Peak via McAllister Gulch. From there we will head to Red Cliff via Forest Road 708 for lunch. Red Cliff is a tiny hidden away little mountain down that has to be seen to be believed. There are two resturants and I think we are leaning toward Mangos at this point.

After lunch we will do Yoder Gulch which will be a great warm up for Holy Cross City. That will be a very full day that will be fun, scenic, and challenging without causing damage that would hold us up from being ready for Holy Cross.

Then Sunday we will head up the Holy Cross City trail. It's a great run and will be worth the hype. Holy Cross is a trail that you may be able to get up with a stock rig (depending on what it is) if you really know what you are doing but I would be amazed if you got away without some damage. A little lift, armor, and oversized tires should do the trick if you have a good spotter. It will be interesting, I assure you.

Please continue to chime in with ideas and we will fine tune the planning. Please post if you are thinking about coming. It would be great to hear your thoughts.
I am going to use this #1 post as way to keep you up with the current status of the trip.

Peeps who are in:
Jade (Tacoma-The Coma) Official Host
Prodigy (Tacoma-The Badger Wagon) Official Host
hawkonthewing (FJ-The Purple Peep Eater) Official Host
Lysmachia & RedRunnerTC (4Runner-The Tippie B*tch)
stagecoachco (FJ)
March2304 (Taco-Loretta) down with Thur camp sitting
Avsfreak1234 (Taco with an issue about cell phones)
Taco Man (Taco) Sat for sure
thefatkid (Taco) Sunday only
hanksyota (Taco) ridin' Sunday

Maybe peeps:
jwh86 (FJ) definate maybe Sunday
devinsixtyseven (girlie is taken him to Moab to bake)
Guapo (we haven't given up - surprise us, big guy)
3 of Molly's YotaTech buds (lookin' like YotaDuds)
The Geegle Peeple (I guess not this time)
FJCruzer (FJ-The Voodoo Man) Not lookin' good

Camp has been set by Jody, Brandon, Jade, and Mark. See my latest post for directions. Friday would be the ideal time for everybody else to show up. We have some peeps squezzin' in Sat morning to make the first run. We are planning to leave camp about 9:00 AM Sat. For anyone that misses us at camp, we will show up out of the woods to have lunch in Red Cliff at Mango's. Check out this Google map for key locations. It has been updated with the location of the new camp. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...53,-105.658264&spn=1.344269,2.554321&z=9&om=1

Trail#1 (Sat morning-9:00AM) - McAllister Gulch
http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=91

Lunch in Historic Red Cliff at Mango's (Mango was a fine dog)

Trail #2 (Sat Afternoon) - Wearyman Creek
http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=127 We're going with Wearyman Creek from Red Cliff to Ptarmigan Pass and back down Resolution Road to camp. It's also worth noting that we have many other trail options to fill the day if we have the time.

Dinner in Camp to avoid D&D (Molly is IN as head Chef - we need to pony up with cash for groceries and help)

Trail #3 (Sunday-9:00AM at trail aired down) Holy Cross City
http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=63

More as we get closer. Read on to get all the poop.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Hello again! Let me know if/when you're pre-running and I'll try to join you (and hopefully I can get you to help me with Schofield :) )

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good, Cruzer. I'm feeling good about Schofield - I doubt the big avies ran into there this year. Looks like we have a great summer shaping up. We'll have to just stay tuned for the pre-runs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a plan. I will probably drive in on Thursday evening.
That's great, Prodigy. Maybe you can help snag a great campsite. It'll be great to have someone here representing Wyoming. You can fill us in on the trails up North.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I think I am going to make that a 3 day event. I will take off at noon on Thursday to drive to GJ and then Friday morning run up and snag a camping spot.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Prodigy said:
I think I am going to make that a 3 day event. I will take off at noon on Thursday to drive to GJ and then Friday morning run up and snag a camping spot.

Sounds killer :camping: You can pre-run or I could tell you about some other trails in the area.. There are many you won't find in the books..

BTW, i really like the Evolution site. Are you Kurt or ****? Tell us about your rig. :worthless

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Niether, **** and I have been good friends since Jr. High school I am going to try and drag him and his crazy eagle with me. **** builds some incredible cages and skeletons

The Eagle
http://www.backcountrycrawlers.com/smf/index.php?topic=311.0

As for my truck

Stoopid Dodge

By July my Shrockworks bumper and winch will be on. **** will have completed my Sliders and if everything goes as planned I should have my powertrax in the rear and ARB in the front. For now all I have is the 3" lift and the 285/75/16 AT's.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
We used to call those "Geegles" cuz they made us laugh.....

·
Registered
898 Posts
think i'd make it?

Just wondering if you guys think i could make it, stock 96 tacoma 5spd, 2.7, 31's. im not very experienced yet, just got the truck two weeks ago. been doing tons of research, will hopefully get some wheeling under my belt first, but even if i just come out to camp, it'd be fun. let me know what you guys think. thanks.

hank

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
I tried just the lower section of Holy Cross with my truck stock (31s) and I got hung up on stuff (including body damage) quite a bit and needed another vehicle to strap me up.

On Yoder Gulch I bottomed out a few times, potentially high centering on the tranny crossmember, but I had a locker that time.

I'd be willing to say that you'd probably be fine to drive your own truck on the first day (Resolution, Redcliff) Yoder I'm not sure of (that's why we're pre-running stuff). I might suggest the you take a passenger seat (or a camera) for the Holy Cross day though, you could learn a great deal.:2cents:

·
Registered
898 Posts
awesome

sounds good, i will definitely try to make it. shouldnt be any reason i cant. hopefully we get 12 inches of snow today to play in! i work up in evergreen, and will probably be doing a couple clear creek county runs soon. if you guys are heading up somewhere that my stocko could make it, let me know, im ready and willing to learn. thanks.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Man I am soooo looking forward to this trip! Hanksyota, come on some of our easier trips before the HolyCross trip so you get a good feel for what you can do. And riding passenger is an awesome way to learn too (Plus if you want - you get to be winch wench - meaning you are the pivotal guy for recovery help!)

Hawk - nice cleanup of the thread.... You should mod some time :D

And Prodigy -get an avatar already! *sheesh*

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hanksyota,
Jade's comments are right on. The Resolution trip is definantly a 4X4 route but Taco's rock:xrocker: so you'll cruise - no worries. Resolution peak is a cool little cone of a peak with a road right to the top. I can't wait to see all the rigs perched on the top.

Yoder gets more interesting but I have done it several times in stock rigs without damage. Jade has down it a lot more recently than I have though and, of course, we will pre-run it earlier this summer.

If I had a Taco I would probably try at least the lower part of Holy Cross (not to say that even the lower part is a cake walk). Because you go up the trail and then come back down the same way, you can always go for a ways and then park it if you don't like it. That's what I did when I ran it. The problems get more difficult as you go up so at some point you just park it and jump in with someone else. There is even an escape trail a little over half way up so you don't have to come all the way down over the tough spots.

The key to preventing damage on this trail (besides armor) is a good spotter. Molly is one of the all time greats and there will be some other good hands along as well. The key is finding the limit of your comfort zone and knowing when to save some fun for the next time.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I'm an all time great spotter? Awe shucks. (Truth be told tho - I learned it from Troy)

Hey make sure you let us know when you do the pre runs because if Troy and I are Free... we are SO THERE!

Man this is gonna be an AWESOME summer for CoTTORA - with the crown jewel of the white rim trail in september. How cool is that?

1 - 20 of 250 Posts