TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm stuck in traffic next to the airport, right?

I'm sitting there, bored, and not moving at all. So I whip out my GPS and start looking for a way to get out of whatever the hell was going on.

Well, that wasn't going to happen, because you can't get there from here.

So I sat there fiddeling with the Garmin.

That's when I got to thinking about something new and different we could do.

I know that many (Most?) of you guys have some sort of GPS.

How about we figure out some kind of a way to do a run using GPS?

Maybe a poker run where the only information available are lat/lon numbers?

Or a wheeling session based on numbers only?

I've looked into Geo casching, but it looks pretty boring to me. Maybe we could figure out something we could do as a club that involves putting our trucks in 4WD and using GPS that would be fun stuff for a weekend.

Anybody got any ideas?

Anybody want to help try this out?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, maybe we could setup some sort of team event where one guy provides the truck, and the other guy provides the GPS.

That way, the driver won't have to mess with the GPS while driving, and we could let those that don't have GPS see what it's all about.

·
Registered
242 Posts
idea

a Big Bend scavenger hunt?? With a nutrition bar and water and a gallon of gas at each spot.....

Sucks if you dont find it.

Seriously, i wanna look into a expedition type trip out there....

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
valkyrie said:
That would actually be kind of cool, maybe for Gilmer in the Spring?

Buys some time to figure it all out...
And speaking of figuring it all out...

I've never tried to drive to a set of numbers before.

Maybe I should read up on that because I have NO idea how to do it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
post the coordinates to your honey hole fishing spots ;).

j/k. but i've been looking into getting a GPS, sounds like a cool idea.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Mxtaco48 said:
a Big Bend scavenger hunt?? With a nutrition bar and water and a gallon of gas at each spot.....

Sucks if you dont find it.

Seriously, i wanna look into a expedition type trip out there....

That would be cool. I've always wanted to go out there anyway, and I think this place would be big enough to spread the items out.

Gilmer would be cool too cause you could hide things all over the place!!!

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
In reality, Big Bend wold be good for a group expedition-style camping trip, but IMO it is an unrealistic area for a geo-cache/hash/poker run simply because it is not well enough known and would take the team a day just to set the course.

BMRA might be a better option, but it would not be a 'great' alternative because it would have to list trails to stay on, thus taking some of the mystery out of it... unless the course was set on the top of the mountain.

I think a simple poker run might be a better option... but either way, I'd be willing to help set the course and mark the waypoints.

Maybe for the Annual BMRA Spring Run in April?

·
Registered
782 Posts
fast frank said:
How about we figure out some kind of a way to do a run using GPS?
I was thinking maybe we should have an amazing race type challenge.

The rule is the last team to arrive at a designated checkpoint leaves the game. The race start on a trail. Teams must then follow clues and instructions and make their way to checkpoints in places around the park, eventually racing back to the finish line at old camp. With Detour and Roadblock,

A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons. Teams must successfully complete one of the tasks described on the clue in order to receive their next clue. One task is typically an easier option that takes more time to complete, while the other is usually a difficult or frightening option that can be finished quickly. Often, there may be some degree of luck involved with the "easier" option, such that a team may accomplish the task faster than if they had taken the quicker, harder, riskier option.

A Roadblock is a task which only one team member may perform. Before heading into a Roadblock, teams read a vague clue about the task to come, e.g., "Who's really hungry?" (for an ostrich-egg eating challenge), or "Who wants to get down and dirty?" (for a task involving making mud bricks). Often, a team may figure out the specific task by observing their surroundings, using common sense, or even seeing other teams already performing the Roadblock task. They then must decide which team member would be best suited to complete it. Once a choice has been made, the teammates cannot switch roles.

for more info on the amazing race show see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race

1 - 20 of 21 Posts