TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many posts on alarms causing problems. Mine has not had any in 10 years.

It is a KARR that was on the 2000 Tacoma when I bought it.

Tonight I left a friends house. I hit the keyless entry and it unlocked and the lights flashed like ususal.

When I got home it locked with the fob as normal. The lights didn't flash and won't now. They still work otherwise.

Any thoughts/comments? Educated or ...........well, if they're stupid they better be funny.:D

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
How's your battery voltage. Full up or maybe not so much? How about the battery in the fob? When is the last time you changed that?

It's the simple obvious shit that typically goes south so in order not to look stupid you should always check that shit first before you post. That is unless you're so used to lookin stupid you don't mind it now.

I have seen many posts on alarms causing problems. Mine has not had any in 10 years.

It is a KARR that was on the 2000 Tacoma when I bought it.

Tonight I left a friends house. I hit the keyless entry and it unlocked and the lights flashed like ususal.

When I got home it locked with the fob as normal. The lights didn't flash and won't now. They still work otherwise.

Any thoughts/comments? Educated or ...........well, if they're stupid they better be funny.:D

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always look stupid, thanks:D

It better be the fob and not the truck batttery. The truck is a Diehard Platinum, 2 years old. And fuckin Sears left the island.

This morning, after to rooster fighting on it the alarm went off. Afterwards the alarm was switced(somehow) from quiet opperation to the mode that honks the horn when using the fob.

Not cool. Time to check my battery and connections:mad:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery voltage:

After sitting all night: 12.33v

Right after start up: 14.26v

The lights still don't flash when locking or unlocking.

In another thread ecar said that the alarms are wired into the headlights. So I will start looking there.

:confused:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have drive an hour and 35 miles to get a new key fob battery.:mad:

I guess that is the next, easiest step. After that it's multimeter time.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could use the meter to check the damn battery ya dummy.
See I knew you could do it.
I'm going to get a new fob. Mine is epoxied shut from too many breaks:eek:. When I get the new one I will test the old fob. Even if the new fob solves the problem I'll test the old. Maybe even learn something:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's totaled. Might as well burn the truck down.
Or send it to you?:D You can tow your freshly done SAS with it...

It is a minor problem (so far). I just like everything working perfect.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1st world problems:eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Whatever you do, be warned if you reprogram the Toyota keyless functionality. You know, where you hit lock-unlock-lock-unlock-stand on one foot, buckle the seat belt 17 times, etc.

I did this on my 2003 to remove the horn function and have it lock/unlock all doors at once. I don't know what part of that screwed it up, but I couldn't get it to take and then afterwards found that as soon as I'd unlock it, it'd relock. I could not drive the truck. Basically the factory keyless and the dealer installed Karr system were now fighting each other. So I removed the entire Karr system and tossed it in the garbage. Works great now.

I figure I don't need an alarm, I get to listen to my neighbors every morning when his cat jumps on his bmw.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No factory keyless entry on my 2000. The PO was leasing the truck, so I'm guessing the KARR was not installed by him.

Still need to get a new fob, then move on from there.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The issue fixed itself. I hate intermitent issues:mad:

I'm guessing moisture in the fob or alarm(module? dunno name) or some chafed wire grounding sometimes.:confused:

Looking at the wires now.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The issue fixed itself. I hate intermitent issues:mad:

I'm guessing moisture in the fob or alarm(module? dunno name) or some chafed wire grounding sometimes.:confused:

Looking at the wires now.

i know this is a few months old now, but did you figure anything out? typically on an aftermarket system, the parking light wire will be fused. the fuse could be getting coroded and causing some issues. it shouldnt be tied into the headlights, but shuld be tied into the parking light wire, probably somewhere around the steering column main harness.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never solved it. The problem is still intermitent. The lights will work one week and then not.

The corner markers are flashing presently when the alarm button is pushed.

Thanks for the tip drpdmazda.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good link. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts