TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
yay flowed is above me woot for new diffy, but yea i have one and wheel it a good bit in the mud and water and still havent gotten it wet

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wheel with mine too and yes the engine compartment has gotten muddy but i've never had a problem with the filter sucking in any kind of object...once the hood is shut the heat shield shuts it off pretty well. It is actually not a good thing to clean your K&N that often when i first got mine i would clean it everytime it would loose it's nice red color but quickly realized that i was doing more harm with oil in my intake then I was good.

As far as the performance goes,the only thing i noticed is that I have better top end power...now when i hit the pedal in 5th gear it will actually have some pick up. That and it sounds like a whore trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose when you mash the skinny.

I want to get rid of my K&N (i've already went through one MAF sensor) and replace it with an AMSOIL (or a paper element filter) they make cone filters for cold air intakes. :cool:

·
Registered
904 Posts
i like the intake system itself, but would switch the element for an AEM dry element that never needs oiling and you can just blow it out cause it's made of SS mesh that filters very well. that way your MAF stays alive and well :)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I've had it for over three years and I did notice the difference. It's not a big change but your engine does breath better. Word of caution, do not use the refill oil, it will mess up your MAF sensor. I already went thru one. Your engine light will turn on and it will send codes like your burning too rich and the oxyen sensor will send codes that your not burning the fuel correctly. Eventually after this happens you loose HP. If you continue to run it with the light on your EGR will get dirty and I might mess up. I hope that helps.
so if you tend to clean it offen, then you are actually making worse if your adding the oil in the refill kit. Actually you don't even need the refill kit becuase you don't want to use the oil and as a cleaner you can use any household grease cleaner spray.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Like everyone say's yes you will have problems with your MAF sensor if you over oil your filter. I've had a K&N on my Tacoma since it was new, 8 years and 90K+ I've replaced 1 sensor and it wasnt because of the filter (the mounting ears cracked). Everyone loves to jump on the "bash K&N band wagon", if they spent the bashing time reading the directions and following them for maintenance on their filter they might have better results.
I've found the best way to keep your truck and K&N filter happy is as follows:
Clean the filter.
Allow it a few hours to dry (oil & water dont mix, this is part of the over oiling issue).
Apply a light coat of oil (doesnt need to saturated).
Set filter aside and allow excess oil to drain off for a few hours (Preferably overnight).
About a week after cleaning, replacing, and driving remove the MAF sensor and clean it with plastic safe electrical contact cleaner (CRC or similiar brand).
I've used a K&N in every vehicle I've owned since 1982, while the Tacoma has been a little particular if your sloppy with the oil there havent been any real issues. These filters got their start in the 60's in Off-road racing and while the technology is different and dated from new filters it doesnt make them bad. I changed to a Dry-Flow from a K&N on my Harley at this time and may find it to be a better filter in time but for now it's about the same to me.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
=ACID RAIN= said:
Even if you do over-oil, I bet you can clean the maf with acetone.

edit: damn didnt read your whole post tb, yeah that'll work too :D
Dont clean it with acetone, acetone eats the plastic and causes damage to the sensor bulb. Someone had a pic of an acetone cleaned MAF on the national board a few years back.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I will get me some contact cleaner that is safe for plastic. Should I clean the MAF sensor that often(everytime filter is cleaned)? I have always had a k&n in the truck for probably 8 or 9 yrs. I think the new set-up which actually isolates the filter from the hotter air in the engine comp. will help keep the splashing water and mud off of it a little better than having it so exposed, as it was before.

·
Registered
199 Posts
my2coma said:
Should I clean the MAF sensor that often(everytime filter is cleaned)?
You can usually tell by looking at it. If it is a solid black color then yes it will need to be cleaned but I wouldn't suggest cleaning it as normal routine like changing your oil.

NOTE: If you're like me and have fat fingers the chance of dropping one of those damn little screws (since the intake makes it hard to access the MAF) is highly possible. If you do drop one and cant find it they are best found at hobby stores with RC Cars. They have various little screws that are perfect.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I clean the sensor and filter at the same time, every other oil change(6K miles/6 months). May not be as bad in your area. In Virginia I cleaned it once a year, it wasnt as dirty then as it gets after 6 months in Texas. Watch your MPG when it starts to drop its time to clean the filter and sensor. The reason for cleaning the sensor a few days later is to get any oil residue that might blow off the filter right after cleaning, I found doing this helps keep the sensor cleaner over the duration between cleanings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.