TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to start a new thread since it would be more appropriate for a km2 tire review - which was not really the main subject on the other thread i recently started. Also, I've found that searching by exact words on the thread title can bring better results.

So...I hope this will be helpful to somebody in the future doing a search on KM2s. I know there's a bunch of threads scattered around on the subject already, but here's one more:p

Anyway, this is a follow up on this: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186437

After all, the back-order on the KM2s was not as bad as I thought. According to the order I had placed on tire rack, I was supposed to receive the tires first week of May. Last night they sent me an email confirming delivery for today:eek: So Tire rack actually delivered the tires a month ahead of time:D

As I mentioned before, I went with the KM2s this time around. I know many people on the forum have written mixed reviews on these tires ever since they came out a few years ago. Based on many of those reviews, I can certainly understand why people wheeling on rocky terrain hate them.

But for my needs, I thought the KM2 could be a good compromise between mild wheeling, street driving, and the occasional snow run. Also, the KM2 was the only mud tire available on the size I wanted (33X10.50 15) for the price I wanted to pay.

I was also considering TSL Radials which - I almost bought - but they were more expensive, heavier, louder and overall way too aggressive for what I really need). Another choice was the Toyo Open Country MT, but those are significantly more expensive. So at the end, the KM2s seemed like a good compromise for a 33X10.50 mud tire. I bet I could fit 33X12.50s with my cset up, but I'm already liking the skinny tires more:

UPS guy must be hating me today after hauling these from the delivery truck. I live on top of a:D hill They are not that bad unmounted actually, roughly 50 lbs each:

To my surprise, at first sight the two tires are not "that" much different. So I guess BFG Sizes are not that far off after all. They certainly DO NOT run taller than advertised. The 33X10.5 on the right looks similar to the 32X11.50 in width:

KM2 a bit taller:

Again, these "eye"comparisons might be inaccurate since the new tire is obviously unmounted.

Waiting now for a couple of suspension upgrades to arrive (allpro springs, etc.) before trying the new tires. I can certainly fit the tires now if I really wanted to, even though the rear of the truck sags a big. I've come to the conclusion that factory springs with AALs is not really a good thing in the long run. The AALs I had installed claimed only 1.5" of lift, but they lifted more than that way back. But they sagged over the years. Anyway, I just want to wait and mount the tires when the new springs arrive.

So it might take a while before I can offer performance reviews. I'm getting the truck ready for some wheeling trips this spring and summer, so I hope to have good opportunities to test the new tires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a set of km2's but 33 12.50s. Very good tire and have great traction and wear. You'll love them.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like my KM2's...perfect for a daily driver and weekend wheeler.
Good size too

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
/\
what size is that on the pic?

Your sig says you are running a different tire:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ya sorry I need to update that.

Those are 33x10.50's and still liken em

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have a set of km2's but 33 12.50s. Very good tire and have great traction and wear. You'll love them.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
what size wheel are you running?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I can certainly understand why people wheeling on rocky terrain hate them.
hmm... I thought they did well in Moab (2 trips)
kinda rocky in that area... tire was R&D'd there from what I've read.

Most any tire can be cut down if spinning tires on sharp edged rocks.
Bias ply will be the toughest...and I've owned some...
but even those can fail when abused or pushed to their limit.
I've never owned a tire in muh life that was impervious to sidewall cuts.
I've cut (destroyed) a few in muh life's adventures.

I got a small sidewall slice in one of muh KMII's, up in Moab,
didn't cut through tho' and I kept it on the truck... never failed.

IMO rock traction is where these tires are at their best... (aired down of course)

Snow and wet, slushy/icy roads is where I disliked them most.
Mud was not user friendly neither.
In fact... with the exception of Moab... I thought they were basically
yer average all around tire. Over-rated (hype) IMO

So much so... that I ditched mine with only 10% tread wear.
Don't take me wrong... they did alright in most terrain...
and better then some tires in certain categories.
But over all... I just wasn't very impressed.

So... swapped them out to the Hankook RT03's
and all I will say here about those...
is that I am no longer a BFG customer.

btw... I was a big fan of the 1st gen KM
cut a few down... but loved that tire's capability/traction.
Thought that way... buying into the KMII hype... but was disappointed.
IMO... BFG would do better by reintroducing the original tread design.
as I feel it's a better all-around design then their current offerings.

Thing I hated most about their 1st gen. KM series...
the outer lugs would tend to chunk if the tires were spun in the rocks.
Positive note about the KMII's... the outer tread blocks chunk less.

Look forward to your impression after you've used them a bit.
For the average wheeler who's not too hard on them...
Could be the best tire the buyer has ever owned.

and in ending... I'll wish you good luck and happy wheelin' :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love the way the MT's look, but I've only owned one set of BFG MT's. I have been a die hard fan of BFG AT tires since I bought my first set in 1990. I've wheeled them on every truck I've owned since then. I switched to the MT's once in 2000. They were 32x11.5x15's, and my only complaint was how loud they got on the hwy.
My current set of BFG's were mounted in March of 2008. They have been on the beach in Pismo, the rocks and snow in the Sierra's, 2 trips to Lincoln City Oregon, and all over Northern and Southern Cali! The only flat I ever had with BFG AT's was a sidewall failure on (2) 33x12.5's on my 75 Bronco back in 1993. I almost switched brands after that.
The only other tire I have considered switching to is the Goodyear Wrangler.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had mine on for 2k now and over all like them. They do great on my truck in most situations but didn't clean out very well in the woods yesterday when crossing swampy ditches. I don't think the 2.7 and 4.88s had enough to clean them out in the deep mud but I was dragging the cross member the only time I had to be pulled out. Wish I would have gone with 5.29s now and 35s but over all I am happy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to run this size tire in the KM on my jeep cherokee and loved it, I plan on eventually getting this size for my T100, as I've heard they fit with zero lift , but only on stock yota wheels.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I ran 37x17 km2 and loved them. they held air all day at around 8 to 5 psi with out bead locks! great tire in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm... I thought they did well in Moab (2 trips)
kinda rocky in that area... tire was R&D'd there from what I've read.

Most any tire can be cut down if spinning tires on sharp edged rocks.
Bias ply will be the toughest...and I've owned some...
but even those can fail when abused or pushed to their limit.
I've never owned a tire in muh life that was impervious to sidewall cuts.
I've cut (destroyed) a few in muh life's adventures.

I got a small sidewall slice in one of muh KMII's, up in Moab,
didn't cut through tho' and I kept it on the truck... never failed.

IMO rock traction is where these tires are at their best... (aired down of course)

Snow and wet, slushy/icy roads is where I disliked them most.
Mud was not user friendly neither.
In fact... with the exception of Moab... I thought they were basically
yer average all around tire. Over-rated (hype) IMO

So much so... that I ditched mine with only 10% tread wear.
Don't take me wrong... they did alright in most terrain...
and better then some tires in certain categories.
But over all... I just wasn't very impressed.

So... swapped them out to the Hankook RT03's
and all I will say here about those...
is that I am no longer a BFG customer.

btw... I was a big fan of the 1st gen KM
cut a few down... but loved that tire's capability/traction.
Thought that way... buying into the KMII hype... but was disappointed.
IMO... BFG would do better by reintroducing the original tread design.
as I feel it's a better all-around design then their current offerings.

Thing I hated most about their 1st gen. KM series...
the outer lugs would tend to chunk if the tires were spun in the rocks.
Positive note about the KMII's... the outer tread blocks chunk less.

Look forward to your impression after you've used them a bit.
For the average wheeler who's not too hard on them...
Could be the best tire the buyer has ever owned.

and in ending... I'll wish you good luck and happy wheelin' :)
Thanks for your reply. I've been traveling with the military, so I haven't been able to go online much for the longest time.

Anyway, for the type of wheeling i did back in the northeast, the tires did well and I was happy.

But I just recently moved to AZ. Totally different ball game here in terms of terrain. I don't really have much experience wheeling in the desert, so I will have to see once I start wheeling here.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have had these tires for 4 years now, and ran the previous Gen for almost 7 and here are my thoughts on these tires. These tires are really awesome in dry rock and for DD use. In muddy/wet rock they are not very good. I wheeld on wet sandy rocks in MO for a few days and i was spanked pretty bad by them, even aired down into low single digits. In straight up mud they are not very good either, the old style KMs were far superior. These tires are not very good in ice or snow unde 3inchs, then again the old style werent either and most mud tires dont work well in those conditions. Some positives are they got rid of that stupid ass lip protector, or should be renamed "jam rocks and mud into your bead strip", and the side walls seem beefier. I have a few good size gashe in the sidewalls, and they are still going strong. Overall these are great tires for what they are, a good tire for DD, rocks, and trail riding. All out mud, and really slick and wet stuff they will require a TON of wheel speed and probibly still stay gumed up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts