TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supercharger HELP.........
Took my time for this 2nd SC install on 1997 4Runner 3.4L. The first TRD SC install was on my 2001 Tacoma, I had no issues and fired right up
Fast-forward to July 21, 2022, my 1997 4Runner has high miles but runs very efficient. I have a "light foot." and I am 20 years wiser since first SC.
Anyhow, upon first start up, it runs rough. Pulls code P0300. Barely started. Had to put pedal to the floor to get started and runs like a misfire.
This is what I did during install:
New NGK Ruthenium 92400 cooler plugs carefully gapped at .043 (did not break or damage tip), 93-97 Supra rebuilt injectors, new aluminum crush washers on bango-fittings for fuel rail, new intake gasket, new factory plug wires, completely removed the throttle body including running MAS air cleaner through IAC valve and reinstalled the 2 screws on the TB insuring the little rod spins freely, and installed a new fuel filter.
Since Magnuson did not mark the 1-way white valve with "black pointing to TB", I researched and the air is sucking on intake or engine side (not sure if that's right). Also, connected the hose (not supplied) from valve on back of PS pump to supplied black T-fitting to EVAP cannister/SC. Connected VSV to tiny vacuum hose that Magnuson said to connect from TB diaphragm (Pass. side) to SC side of TB and did T-fitting to VSV tiny vacuum hose. Everything else is as explained in their vacuum diagrams along with install for a 1997 4Runner.
I am lost............Help!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,713 Posts
All signs point to an air/fuel mix problem. You may have a single or multiple issues related to MAF not reading correctly, TPS not aligned or reading correctly and/or fuel issues with the new injectors. Way too many possibilities to give any sense of where to start. I would be checking cylinder by cylinder to make sure you have proper fuel and spark. Make sure all the sensors got plugged back in correctly. Check for vacuum leaks. Check OBD data and see if your sensors like the TPS, MAF are reading the correct range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All signs point to an air/fuel mix problem. You may have a single or multiple issues related to MAF not reading correctly, TPS not aligned or reading correctly and/or fuel issues with the new injectors. Way too many possibilities to give any sense of where to start. I would be checking cylinder by cylinder to make sure you have proper fuel and spark. Make sure all the sensors got plugged back in correctly. Check for vacuum leaks. Check OBD data and see if your sensors like the TPS, MAF are reading the correct range.
I

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reversed the 1-way valve to TB. That eliminated 4 multiple misfire codes done to 1 code. I am left with 1 code P0301 misfire cylinder #1. I have changed the plug and there is the normal smell of a spark plug, swapped the coil packs around, the Toyota factory wires are pre-built and not damaged, sprayed brake cleaner everywhere with no uptick in idles, recheck ALL vacuum lines, ohm tested the new #1 Supra injector which has continuity along with the wire loom plug, rechecked the IAC spindle on passenger's side of TB and it moves freely as normal, pulled ALL plug wires/coil packs to check for spark (great spark)....It seems to smooth out when I go above 1500 rpm or higher. At idle it definitely shakes moderately and runs terrible like a misfire just moving around property. I believe the 91 octane has cycled through the system. Also added a bottle of 15 oz Lucas octane booster as recommend for the first 6 gas-light on to full fill-ups to get the computer to learn. So according to some other posts, I need to drive the 4Runner so the computer will learn. I am hesitant to drive around on 5 cylinders just to learn. This never happened with my 2001 Tacoma with the TRD SC............Still stuck.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can confirm spark on #1? Can you confirm the injector is working? Is the cylinder/spark plug wet from fuel?
Yes, confirmed #1 plug good and injector is working.
All is good now. I reversed the 1-way valve again to the engine sucking air so no air goes into the throttle body and she purrs like a kitten. I am not sure why. In a way it bothers me that I was not able to pinpoint the exact issue. Only put about 5 miles. So far so good. Magnuson really needs to put in red in their instructions for their info about the 1-way valve and not just a footnote. If that was my issue, it had me chasing multiple scanner codes and taking it half-way apart along with spraying brake cleaner everywhere to chase down a possible leak. It is definately an improvement; however, not as fast as my SC's 2001 2wd Tacoma. Now I'll try not to blow it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts