TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I figured I'd say hello and comment on this forum.
Pretty much, I'm going from one type of vehicle to another. I should be selling my toyota supra this coming weekend (sigh), after which I will begin my search for a Tacoma. I've had a truck before: a GMC Sierra w/ a vette motor swapped in, but it was almost as impractical as the supra.
Anyway, I thought I'd let you guys know how awesome I think this forum is. I've been looking here for about 3 days now and read up on countless threads with tons of good information.

On a side note, I'd like to pop in my first questions here, hopefully you guys can tolerate it. I'm thinking of getting a 98-00 year model (any advice in regards to which year I should go with?). After some time getting to know the truck, I'll prob put on donahoe C/O's in the front with bilsteins in the rear (if I can't afford the donahoe's), but am unsure of what leaf springs to get. I want a normal distribution of ride height, or maybe a little more height in the rear and I will probably be towing or putting a good amount of weight in the back. In this case, rather than going with deaver, would guys recommend going with an Alcan 8pack or OME Dakars?

Hopefully this isn't too much for a first post in the newb section, but thanks in advance for any replies and I will continue to read up and search.

Phil

·
Registered
967 Posts
Welcome the forum. What part of Cali are you in?

As far as 98-00...they are basically the same truck with same trim. 98 was the 1st year Toy offered a factory locker so you are good there if that is an option you were looking for.

Definately a good choice on the DR coilovers.

On the back...The Deavers ride really nice but since you will carry weight either of the other 2 mentioned may work better. You may want to contact the manufacturers to get specifics on ride height load capacity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the info. I'm from Bakersfield, CA, but live in Irvine, Ca for school. The truck will be down here in Irvine mostly though.
I saw that you have the Camburg UCA's, should I probablly look into getting UCA's too? I've read that with the normal DR coilovers I "shouldn't" need them, but have also seen many posts stating that they really help highway handling.
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info. I'm from Bakersfield, CA, but live in Irvine, Ca for school. The truck will be down here in Irvine mostly though.
I saw that you have the Camburg UCA's, should I probablly look into getting UCA's too? I've read that with the normal DR coilovers I "shouldn't" need them, but have also seen many posts stating that they really help highway handling.
Thanks,
Phil
The uniball UCA's do seem to allow the suspension to cycle smoother than stock. If you do plan on gettin the UCA's you should also consider the extended travel DR's. When I got mine there was no extra charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good stuff, I'll make sure to pm you in some time to ask you how they work out.
Thanks for your input vistataco.

What kind of off-roading do you guys do down in SD? Do you guys ever go down to Mexico?

edit: and yes, I do go to UCI. do you??

·
Registered
215 Posts
i havent gone to mexico with my truck yet...i shoulda though i found out my uncle owns land...when i saw it...i was so pissed off that i didnt take my truck...oh well next time...and i dont go to UCI but my buddy MRCANISH does

1 - 9 of 9 Posts