TTORA Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I have found the forum when looking for an information about 3VZ-FE to 5VZ-FE swap. I am trying to install a JDM engine to a 1988 4Runner and cannot find some information, so I have several questions:

1. Perusing the forums, I found some posts that appeared pertinent to my issues, but the links are dead, athough some of them are only a year or two old. Is there a way to somehow find the threads pointed to by the links?

2. I understand that the wiring and connector labeling has been changed during the 1988 year. Unfortunately, the TIS web-site does not have any documentation prior to 1990. I had acquired several wiring diagrams, which I can post if there is an interest, but none of them has any connectors shown. Would someone have such a documentation or can point me to a source?

3. As my 4Runner is manual, I have been looking for a manual ECU, I do not really care for a year, as the JDM engine had its harness cut, so I have to rebuild it anyway. Since I had already identified all the wires for sensors and actuators, it should not be difficult. However, the manual ECUs are about as plentiful as hen's teeth, witha price to match, so I was contemplating to use an automatic one, and build a circuitry fooling the ECU. Based on my reading, I have acquired some preliminary understanding that I will need to simulate transmission functionality that the ECU needs, e.g., solenoids, transmission temperature sensor, etc, which should not be that difficult, with a proper wiring diagram/FSM. However, in case I am mistaken, is there a good source of information how to approach this?

4. I need two parts to install on the engine before I can install it into the car - a driver's side manifold and a cross-over pipe (or the flanges, so I can build one). If, by some miracle anyone would have such, please let me know.

Kindest regards,

M

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,697 Posts
All real challenging problems to solve. I can try to assist with the links noted in #1 if you can point me to what you are referring to. As for the rest, I'm not much help. Finding donor parts to do the swap is definitely difficult due to the age.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts